Autonomists on parade

Tue May 8 13:37:35 MDT 2001

>>> lnp3 at panix.com 05/05/01 06:22PM >>>

-clip-

The popularity of this kind of anti-theoretical and ultimately
anti-political current is a symptom, along with the ubiquitous 'black bloc'
anarchism of the protests styled after Seattle, of the vacuum left by the
implosion of old-style "vanguard" Marxism. If Marxism is to move forward,
it will be through ideological engagement with such currents and by
participation in the mass movement. Although I am much too old to eat tear
gas and rubber bullets, I plan to take up the ideological questions in a
series of posts on anarchism that will begin shortly after I file my post
on airline deregulation.

((((((((

CB: I agree, especially with "  If Marxism is to move forward,
it will be through ideological engagement with such currents and by
participation in the mass movement ".  Anarchism has special appeal for radicalizing U.S. youth, perhaps because of the U.S. "least government is the best government" tradition, and petit bourgeois individualist influences in our more "purely" ( than European)  bourgeois national tradition. Much of the "60's Movement" was anarchist, technically.

 Marxism has a history of unity and struggle with anarchism.  Marx criticized anarchists, but in the way that allies are criticized ( I believe) .  U.S. Marxists were in a mix with IWW, supported freedom for Sacco and Vanzetti, heck ,  the May Day martyrs.