The Prestige of the Working Class

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Tue May 8 18:10:06 MDT 2001

I have received a very impressive level of replies to my original
post.  Greg's posts, Jon's challenge, Stewart's, David's, Lou's  and
Carroll's comments have all given me cause to pause.  I have also got Tom
O'Lincoln to publish his off list comments.

I was deeply moved by Stewart and Greg's last posts. Indeed I am reminded
of the exchange in the Yeats poem between the poet and Lady Gregory in the
poem 'The People'.

Lady Gregory:

'The drunkards, pilferers of public funds,
All the dishonest crowd I had driven away,
When my luck changed and they dared meet my face,
Crawled from obscurity, and set upon me
Those I had served and some that I had fed;
Yet never have I, now nor any time
Complained of the people.'

Yeats:

And yet, because my heart leaped at her words,
I was abashed, and now they come to mind,
After nine years, I sink my head abashed.

regards

Gary