Historical memory

George Snedeker snedeker at concentric.net
Sat May 12 07:31:32 MDT 2001

    this is a question I have also been perplexed by. popular consciousness
is highly mediated. this is the objective condition underlying the lack of
historical memory. I suspect that there is also a subjective factor. people
seem to have little investment in such memories. why trouble yourself with
such ideas? there is after all plenty of other things to be interested in.
let no one disrupt the "good life." why there is such a lack of interest in
critical thinking is a very good question. this is a question of
information, but it is more than that. if I were a Freudian, I would say
that there is a lack of libidinal investment in history. there are just too
many shopping malls. all that consumer capitalism distracts clear thinking.