Forwarded from Tom O'Lincoln

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon May 14 06:24:39 MDT 2001

Lou

We have something in common. I'm not Jewish but my family background taught
me German at a young age, then my first long term partner (Janey Stone) was
Jewish. At Berkeley at one stage I had time to waste and taught myself some
Yiddish, including the Hebrew letters. I've forgotten most of it now of
course, and I can't justify taking the time to re-learn it.

But I have a real sense of loss, for the reasons you indicate (what a
beautiful language and culture) and specifically because the Jewish left
tradition was/is so rich.  I got a feel for these things from my in-laws,
including Janey's mother who told a pious Israeli settler type: "A frummer
Mensch kan auch zijn a gonif." A pious man can also be a thief.

Tom

Louis Proyect