FW: CAMP SOVEREIGN: PRESS RELEASE: Rosalies statement

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Wed May 16 09:19:11 MDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Ishgooda [mailto:ishgooda at voyager.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 5:09 PM
To: warriornet at lists.speakeasy.org
Subject: CAMP SOVEREIGN: PRESS RELEASE: Rosalies statement

From: "Ray A. Mongeau" <huron at bit-net.com>
Subject: Fw: Rosalies statement
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 19:47:59 -0400

For immediate Release
Ray Mongeau
Camp Sovereign

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carter Camp" <ccamp at gwtc.net>
To: "Ray A. Mongeau" <huron at bit-net.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 1:04 AM

   Dear Friends of the Indigenous, the Buffalo, and the
   Earth,

I am appealing to you to support the Sicangu Lakota (Rosebud Sioux Tribe) in
its struggle to avoid becoming the home of the world's third largest hog
farm. The first phase of 24 barns is already in place and in spite of tribal
opposition and legal intervention by several organizations, Bells Farms (Sun
Prairie) continues construction on the second phase. When completed, there
will be 13 sites, of 24 barns each. The waste disposal digestor at site #1
is not properly functional, as predicted.

As indicated in my letter to Mr. Bell,  the Rosebud Sioux Tribe is valiantly
battling the matter in the judicial system, with its sovereignty in serious
jeopardy. Meanwhile, we are establishing a vigilance camp, to be called Camp
Sovereignty, in the vicinity of the hog farms. We can no longer tolerate the
severe corporate oppression of Bell Farms. We can no longer tolerate the
threats to our environment, to the quality of justice, and to our
sovereignty.

There are several options for you to consider.  You may join me in a letter
to Rich Bell by snail mail (sorry we are not able to access an email address
for him yet) to Bell Farms in Wahpeton, ND. Phone number is 701-642-4021.
Fax is 701-942-9237.

The RST tribal officials are working against incredible odds. Tribal council
resolutions and letters of support from tribal  officials would be greatly
appreciated. Individual messages of concern are just as powerful.

   William Kindle, President
   Rosebud Sioux Tribe
   POB 430
   Rosebud, SD 57570.
   Phone 605-747-2381

   If you're looking for a quick, convenient way to
   indicate your support or to support
   and/or join the camp vigil for the environment and for
   justice, check the Camp
   Sovereignty website at
   http///www.pathshop.com/camp_sovereignty/index.htm

   To see this hog farm to full scale of operation, Mr.
   Bell would have to crush the tribe. I
   believe he is capable. We have determined spirits. We
   need public outrage (and lots of
   prayers too).

   Thank you from my heart,

   Rosalie Little Thunder
   wakinyela at yahoo.com

   May 14, 2001

   Rich Bell
   Bell Farms
   Wahpeton, ND

   Mr. Bell,

It was with a heavy heart that I watched the U.S. District Court of South
Dakota proceedings that were, in response to your Motion to Show Cause, so
obviously and unjustly working against my tribe; the Rosebud Sioux Tribe.
The resulting restraining order against us, I saw as a very ugly, aggressive
move to oppress the tribe into allowing you to build the world's third
largest hog farm on our homelands.

Because you are driven by the need to satisfy your investors with profit;
that this might well be the whole of your existence, I suspect my appeal to
you will fall on deaf ears. However futile it may be, I must at least, make
an attempt to help you to understand the positon of the Indigenous people,
with whom you are now engaged in serious legal conflict.

The people native to this land, lived in balance with the Earth and with the
environment that sustained them. We held an inherent belief that "all things
are related". For the Lakota, prayers and traditional public speeches end
with "Mitakuye Oyas'in"; that is, "We are all related". And this concept is
not limited to human kinship, but the relationships among all things. If one
part of the circle of  the relatedness is interrupted or damaged, then the
rest of the circle is likewise affected. When the Earth is threatened, so
are the people. It was this knowledge, gained through generations upon
generations of observation and a survival intimacy with the natural world,
that kept Indigenous cultures from carelessly exploiting the resources of
the Earth.

By contrast, civilized societies tend to believe and behave as if the Earth
exists specifically for human habitation and that its resources are
therefore, subject to unregulated consumption. The philosophy of "take all
you can get" has lead to the mining of gold, silver, other metals, fossil
fuels; to the clearcutting of  forests; to inhumane corporate farming
practices. In the juggernaut march for comfort, power and profit, humanity
continues to terminate entire species of plants and animals, and
subsequently, pollutes essential air, water, and land. Indigenous people and
their lands are hardest hit. The American public is finally beginning to
realize the impacts that these exploitive activities have on humanity's
health and survival.

Epidemics and pandemics of flu viruses that have killed millions are
directly attributed to large hog farms in this country. Because of the
poverty and forced change of lifestyle and diet, our people are physically
vunerable. I know this health risk too well. I lost my mother, already
weakened by diabetes, to a "simple" flu virus. Better than 50% of our tribal
adult population is stricken with diabetes and weak immune systems. The rest
of my relatives must now live with serious, increased health risks; downwind
and downstream, in the shadow of the montrous Bell Farms barns. The waste
management system of the first phase (of 13) of construction is already
failing. We are painfully reminded of another time when the Indigenous
people of the Plains were gifted with small pox infested blankets.

The effects of exploitive use of the land and its resources are not limited
to the impacts on the health of the human population. More seriously, the
greatest long-term effect is the exhaustion of the earth's non-renewable
resources, in this case, precious land and water. There is clearly a lack of
human vision in how future generations will survive.

Although the Indigenous cultures were nearly decimated and the effects of
severe oppression are still evident, we remain loyal to our belief system as
our survival is critically dependent upon the nature of two-legged species'
relationship with Grandmother Earth; Unci Maka.

The Indigenous peoples' principles of self-sufficiency were not independent
of , but interdependent with other species and ecosystems, thus the
philosophy of the "we are all related"; eco-existence. Modern science (but
not corporate America) has finally come to recognize the environmental
wisdom of Indigenous people; our sound survival practices in the natural
world, in accordance with natural law.

In the beginning of this rather "bad marriage", Bell Farms (a/k/a Sun
Prairie) behaved without honor or honesty. For an hog farm operation of this
magnitude, an Environmental Impact Study was strangely circumvented. The
only hearing was held in a remote reservation community, without sufficient
notice. For the world's third largest hog farm and given the bad history of
such corporate farms, that an EIS was avoided warrants serious question.

Other surrounding tribes were approached with this particular hog farm
proposal, but without success. There can be only one reason why a corporate
hog farm, unwanted elsewhere, would want to locate on remote tribal lands;
to escape elsewhere regulations. The tribal leaders of that time,
unfortunately succumbed, but only because of Bell Farms' assurances of
environmental safety and only because employment was (albeit temporarily)
appealing to the leaders of a people who live in grinding poverty.
Certainly, our people need jobs, but healthy, responsible jobs, not standing
knee-deep in hog manure. If you cannot care about Indigenous people, then
consider that corporate farms are forcing small farmers out of business. The
population of rural South Dakota is on the decline. The very reason for the
state of our economy, on the reservations and in South Dakota, is a direct
and undeniable result of oppression by the wealthy and powerful. No one is
poor by choice.

Fortunately, the tribal population was quick enough to recognize the
externally-influenced pressures and corruption and the serious threats to
the environment and so, elected leaders that would truly represent their
best interests and beliefs. Those tribal leaders inherited a very bad lease.
The shifting winds might not be to your liking, but you were aware of these
risks. To insist on continuing to build on tribal lands, in a hostile
climate, continues to be risky business. Threatening to sue the tribe for
$100 million or demanding a $15 million bond is not reasonable,  but
tactically ruthless and oppressive to a tribe that is within the boundaries
of one of the poorest counties in the American landscape.

Your business relationship with the tribe went from bad to worse and into
the court room as the deception, as we see it, became more and more
apparent. Those who share in that strong sense of environmental
responsibility across this country closely watch the on-going legal
skirmishes. We know the sentiments; we bear the burden of an environmental
disaster happening on our homeland.

I need not remind you of the lawsuit, now pending in the U.S. Court of
Appeals, that presents our environmental concerns and the deceptions around
the bad lease agreement. To be determined is the validity of the lease and
the call for a full Environmental Impact Study,  The U.S. Court of Appeals
has not reached its decision yet.

The Rosebud Sioux Tribe, through its competent tribal court of jurisdiction,
sought only to enforce the terms of the lease, while awaiting the Court of
Appeals decision.  Plans were to be submitted, prior to construction of 24
more barns on site #2.  I was quite dismayed by your contemptuous attitude
for tribal court by petitioning for a restraining order in federal court
that had no jurisdiction in this matter. In essence, I was further dismayed
when your attorney further exhibited this contempt, by making unchecked,
disparaging remarks about tribal court.

The U.S. government joined the tribe in questioning jurisdiction, as an
appeal is in process and tribal court remedies have not been exhausted. I'm
sure you've considered the prospect of seriously eroding the status of
tribal sovereignty. Where then, would corporate farms and nuclear waste
dumps seek asylum from environmental regulations?

We should be discouraged that justice was not to be found that day in an odd
court. We found ourselves legally restrained from legally interfering with
construction, from exercising our responsibilities to our own land. But we
clearly saw the forum-shopping for a court in your favor and we saw through
the deception, the true nature of Bell Farms. We see  the magnitude of the
injustice and oppression we are facing. All of your cards are on the table
build at all costs. The worst fear of Third World countries; globalization
and corporate power now sit menacingly on our horizon.

What might have been anger or despair, if you had looked into the eyes of
the tribal people that packed that courtroom, instead you would have seen
the grim determination of a people that are backed into a corner and have
nowhere else to go. I saw the light of the spirit that has never failed us
and is only tempered by such hardships.

Perhaps you will find some degree of understanding in our worldview, but
it's not likely for we come from different places, with different
motivation. My words are hardly kind, but needed to be spoken; it is the
truth of a people that do not seek power or profits, but see Unci Maka as a
kind and benevolent Grandmother.

So, we begin our vigilance over our land and for our sovereignty. We will be
on your horizon and will make prayers for wisdom and courage for you to make
better decisions.

   Rosalie Little Thunder miye.