Scholarship and politics (was Re: Proyect v Woods)

Greg Schofield gschofield at one.net.au
Mon May 21 09:57:07 MDT 2001

I think things are definitely moving in a silly direction. Sorry Jim, but
such pugnaciousness is a little over the top.

1) The original statement that Woods a premier Marxist was made in response
to her being dismissed as being serious at all. The response was clearly
rhetorical, and while the originator thinks highly of Woods I doubt that
there is any attempt to award Woods or anyone else a "premier Marxist"
award, it was merely a statement of praise raised in response to a criticism.

2) George's remark was likewise a rhetorical response to Woods' political
credentials being questioned.

To take things the next step and treat these statements as if they were
serious theoretical announcements is just ridiculous - George's response
was satirical for God's sake! And the previous remark raised as a personal
opinion, i.e. as a term of praise not as a full blown assessment of
theoretical status (do we have a premiership of Marxism?) - it only means
that the contribution is being highly respected, no more - I would think
that was obvious.

If you have real opposition, bite off something that has some meat on it,
not this furious tearing at finger-nails. I am sorry but I think this line
of debate should just be dropped.

Greg Schofield
Perth Australia