The CPA and Aboriginal Activismwas RE: Scholarship and politics (was Re: Proyect v Woods)

Greg Schofield gschofield at one.net.au
Tue May 22 07:56:43 MDT 2001

Got in one again Nestor!

Perhaps not all that revolutionary, but at least enough for him to be
kicked out before a fascist plot ousted him in a more physical way.  By the
way, as we previous spoke of Australia's military inteligence (AMI ? who
knows), you may be interested to know that they naturally had very close
organisational bonds to the New Guard fascist group - to this extent only
recently relayed to me by a friend.

At the outbreak of WWII Australia was rather short of weapons -
miraculously 300 heavy machine guns were found incorporated into War
Memorials (so the official story was). My friend pointed out to me that 300
machine guns not maintained for 20 years would be just so much scrap metal
(remembering my own days cleaning weapons I had to agree with him). The 300
machine guns (more than the entire Australian army possessed) were in the
hands of these par-militaries!

Elsewhere this sort of fact would not require an exclamation mark, but it
is rather a rude shock to Australian sensibilities and no-one knowing this
country could be in any doubt that such stock-piles were in effect
officially sanctioned.

If you get a chance read DH Lawrence's "Kangaroo" a little novel he wrote
when staying here and happened to be invited to one cell of these fascist
units (the logic being that because he was British he would be pro-Empire
and because he was cynical also pro-fascist - which says a lot about
Australian sophistication). Not that it is highly politically charged but
it is a wonderful little expose in its own right.

I know this is not really burning stuff, but I have been waiting for an
opportunity to drop this little tidbit somewhere.

Greg Schofield
Perth Australia