Quote of the day

Wed May 23 07:34:50 MDT 2001

On animal rights, I'm not one of those who favor such a provision in
our constitution, but the most effective argument I've heard against
animal testing was that fully half of all animal testing was done by
the military. I don't know if that is true, but it seems to me to be
humane to oppose animal testing for military purposes. I support
medical testing and don't think we should adopt any philosophical
position, but practically we can oppose the use of animals for
testing for anti-human uses, like chemical and biological warfare
testing. This won't satisfy animal rights activists, but is
consistent with our program and policies, and seems to me to make
practical sense.