Florida 'felon purge' may have affected presidential election

Jose G. Perez jgperez at netzero.net
Wed May 23 19:42:55 MDT 2001

>>Details of the felon purge were first reported earlier
this year by The Nation, a liberal magazine based in New
York.<<

Not exactly. They were reported, among other places, here, on this list,
well before "this year."

>From the British Observer, Nov. 26 (as quoted in one of my posts on the
elections in December):

*  *  *

Blackout in Florida

Vice-President Al Gore would have strolled to victory in Florida if the
state hadn't kicked 12,000 citizens off the voters' registers five month ago
as former felons.

In fact, only a fraction were ex-cons. Most were simply guilty of being
African-American. While 8,000 of those disenfranchised went through the
legal rigmarole of getting on to the voting list, the rest - enough to have
won the state for Gore - did not.

A top-placed election official (not a Democrat) told me that the government
had conducted a quiet review and found - surprise! - that the listing
included far more African-Americans than would statistically have been
expected, even accounting for the grievous gap between the conviction rates
of blacks and whites in the US.

The source of this poisonous blacklist: Database Technologies, a division of
ChoicePoint, and hired by Governor Jeb Bush's frothingly partisan Secretary
of State, Katherine Harris. My thanks to investigator Solomon Hughes for
informing me that DBT is a division of ChoicePoint. Under fire for mis-use
of personal data in state computers, ChoicePoint founder Rick Rozar made a
strategic six-figure soft cash donation to the Republican Party.

*  *  *

José