On Contact this Thursday May 31st - Aboriginal Veterans

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Wed May 30 16:12:48 MDT 2001

As an "Aboriginal Veteran", I am not proud of--nor do I want anything
special for--my "service" to U.S. imperialism in the U.S. Army 1963-66; it
is something I'll have to atone for the rest of my life--if indeed such
atonement is even possible.

I can understand the demand for First Nations veterans fighting for parity
of rights and benefits with non-Aboriginal veterans, as a front in the fight
for First Nations Peoples rights, but I cannot see how any First Nations
person should be "proud" of service to the genocidal U.S. or Canadian State
or see such "service" as in the "spirit of the Warrior." Too many Indians
wear military "service" as some kind of badge of honor or honorable service;
I just can't understand that mentality except that war is often seen as an
avenue and venue through which--pathetically--"a nobody can become a
somebody."

Jim Craven