Fidel tells Spanish imperialist magistrate to shove it

Martin Zehr m_zehr at SPAMhotmail.com
Tue May 1 15:45:51 MDT 2001

The major problem with the premise here is that it projects an analysis of
Colonized vs. the colonisers and from there proscribes the appropriate
remedy for all. It puts Noriega in the same camp as Che.

This analysis has truly outlived it's usefulness. The intrusion by the IMF,
WTO, GATT, NAFTA, etc. have generated a new comprador strata that is more
extensive and intensive in the colonized nations than ever. The pot banging
middle class of Chile have become more entrenched and more politically
influential in the support of private capital and its property relations. At
the same time there are popular voices of opposition, such as Garzon, Hugo
Chavez or Ralph Nader, that raise substantive questions even while promoting
a reformist agenda.

What are the options? I remember the sentiments of a Peruvian campesino when
asked by a reporter about the takeover of the Japanese embassy by the Tupac
Amaru. He declared that it was truly the only opportunity for his voice to
be heard. So along with the extension of finance capital is the
marginalization of millions, in the US, Europe and around the world. These
are the disappeared, the shirtless ones, but these are also the Zapatistas.
It truly depends on the leadership and the reliance of it on mass resistance
in many popular forms to expose, intimidate and isolate the opponents of
democracy and justice.

I hope that no one is really relying on the military of the colonialised
nations to lead the struggle for indepence and social justice. Their record
does not speak well in that regard. Further, their training and financial
ties with the colonizer nation promises little change in the future.

As to whether it is "a" solution to rely on imperialist courts, I would
suggest that unless it is acceptable to you for the fascists and their
agents to get away scot-free, it may be the only realizeable option
available. There can never be justice in the face of the influence of
capital and its agents. There can be accounts settled, that should be
settled. There can be restitution made where it is owed.

I do accept that I could be totally missing the dynamics of the struggle in
the southern hemisphere and I am more than willing to listen to someone who
could fill me in.

Ultimately, I am confused and perplexed by what appears to be an ulta-Left
position that attacks all in the colonizer nation, unites with the military
of the colonized, and provides little room for short term remedies. It seems
to me that the goal is not revolution but equality and social justice. It is
in that context that we probably hold the greatest differences.