Geopolitics? (was Re: The EU question)

Greg Schofield gschofield at SPAMone.net.au
Wed May 2 06:29:07 MDT 2001

At 08:05  2/05/01 -0400, you wrote:
>The 50s and 60s, consequently, saw a good development of left-wing
>geopolitical thought in Buenos Aires and Montevideo, a line of ideas
>which attained its highest peaks in works by the Uruguayans Methol
>Ferré and Trías, and the Argentineans Jauretche and Scalabrini
>Ortiz. No serious revolutionary should get to task here without having
>read some of their work.

Comrade Nestor,
I am far from well informed on the subject and far too ignorant of South
American history and politics I will try and find the four authors you
mentioned, it is an area I am in interested in. Being restricted to
English, does not help of course.

My actual background (believe it or not) has been a slight study on
geo-politics of the ancient world.

But if you want a real head spin I suggest trying to track down Engels'
letters to Sorge (1890-95 if memory serves). Mind you the only copy I have
ever been able to read was in 1975 (it vanished soon after from that
library - I was too young to know the treasure I had stumbled across) I
have never been able to find another which is a great pity.

I mentioned this because it is such an eye opener, but hesitate to go
further as I am forced to rely on memory -  suffice it to say that if
anyone doubted the predictive power of historical materialism the are some
letters there that stand a lot of things on their head and shed light (in
hindsight) at what may have been one of the greatest ironies of the 20th
century (1917).

Unfortunately having introduced the topic of geo-politics I am unable to
take it much further than this - unless of course someone is interested in
early agriculture ;  )

Greg Schofield
Perth Australia