The Chinese Hacker Offensive

Jose G. Perez jgperez at SPAMnetzero.net
Wed May 2 22:15:54 MDT 2001

[Posting is real slow on the Cuba News list, with delays of a couple of
hours or more recently. I believe this has to do with Yahoo groups filtering
for adult material, or perhaps a breakdown of some of their servers, and not
a hacker attack.  But at any rate, I posted this to Cuba News to explain
what I've been able to find out about this Chinese hacker offensive. As
usual, there is much more than is reported in most news accounts.]

*  *  *

Walter has forwarded an aticle about the offensive launched by Chinese
hackers as a possible explanation of difficulties we have encountered in the
last couple of days with posts to Cuba News.

This is actually a much more interesting story than it seems, and it may be
music of the future re. Cuba, as the joven computing clubs on the island are
undergoing a major expansion, and Cuba appears to have decided to become a
world power in computing as it has done in medicine and education.

The web site of the Chinese compañeros carrying out this campaign is
www.cnhonker.com. The site is in chinese, almost completely, but if you
click around, you will eventually get to their list of hacked sites, and
clicking around there will get you to sites that are still hacked.

Despite FBI claims about the end of civilization as we know it, what the
Chinese hackers are doing is quite mild, and might even be considered a free
security evaluation. They are going to various American sites and replacing
the home page. The old home page is saved under a distinctive name, nothing
is deleted, stolen or vandalized.

It is the online equivalent of a campaign of symbolic civil disobedience,
like that being waged against the U.S. bombing of Vieques.

Of course, it is not possible to do this to a properly secured web site. By
showing the site owners that their site is insecure, these red-hat hackers
are, in effect, giving them a chance to secure the site before
criminally-minded "black hat" hackers get to it.

The pages that replace the home pages (I have seen several) feature the
Chinese flag, accompanied by a midi rendition of the Chinese National Anthem
and Chinese anti-imperialist slogans with rudimentary English translations.

[I've also seen claims that the Chinese hackers have carried out Denial of
Service (ping flood) attacks, but no details so that one could verify it. I
would be very surprised if after the DOS attacks last year on CNN and
others, there would be large sites still vulnerable to this.]

The group doing this is the Honker Union of China. "Honker" is a rendition
into european letters of the name Chinese hackers have adopted. It is my
understanding that "Hacker" sounds like "black guest" in Chinese; "honker,"
red guest.

One big difference between the Chinese honker ethic and the hacker ethic
under capitalist regimes is that the honker movement is organized on a large
scale. They meet online, have mechanisms to adopt decisions and carry out
coordinated campaigns, hacking offensives like the current one.

Now, the Chinese offensive is being presented as an unprovoked attack. This
is not true. Throughout the month of April, since the crew of  the American
spy plane turned itself into the Chinese authorities (cowardly choosing to
save their own skins instead of ditching their plane in the ocean thereby
putting supposedly vital, secret national security devices beyond the reach
of the adversary they were being used against), dozens of Chinese,
especially government web sites have been defaced and vandalized. The home
pages are replaced with racist, anti-Chinese insults, malicious trojan horse
programs planted, etc.

The hacks being carried out in many cases are untypical of what we've seen
from hackers in the past, even socalled "Black-hat" hackers. SOME of the
hacked sites do look like typical hacker activity, with "greetz" to various
and sundry, exortations to the webmaster to clean up their act, and so on.
The other type of hacked site I refer to are plain text ascii files, without
any imaginative typography, no greetz, no other reflection of the hacker
subculture, with vulgar racist slanders like one that had an "application"
to be a "Chinaman." This just doesn't have the look and feel of work done by
teenagers or college-age kids immersed in the hacker subculture It reeks of
the methodical, unimaginative work of government bureaucrats. It looks
EXACTLY like the kind of material the FBI was so fond of putting out in its
Cointelpro programs, i.e., a conscious campaign of government provocation to
try to get hackers and honkers at each other's throats.

I would be hard-pressed to refute an accusation that the campaign undertaken
by the Honker Union of China is has elements that could be called juvenile.
But these young people are right in speaking out against the hacking of
Chinese sites with provocative racist propaganda, U.S. efforts to arm
breakaway province Taiwan to the teeth, U.S. spying and military
provocations against China, etc. And they are right to organize and act
collectively to defend their country.

José