The EU question (Response to Louis - II)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Thu May 3 13:11:12 MDT 2001

>If you are _rationalizing_ imperialism to us by citing De Long, what are
>you doing on Marxism list?
>
>---
>Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx

If Julio can put up with the heat, I think it is good for his ideas to get
a hearing on the Marxism list. As we know, there was a reaction against
"dependency theory" in the 1970s and 80s. Robert Brenner, Ernesto Laclau
and Eugene Genovese advanced similar arguments to those we are hearing from
Julio. Generally, these sorts of arguments are not heard outside of the
academy, so it is useful for our subscribers, most of whom are ordinary
working people, to hear them defended. Although I find them appalling
myself, I am going to bend over backwards not to personalize my arguments.
I must applaud Julio for having the temerity to defend these ideas before
an audience that I suspect he feels will be hostile.

Louis Proyect