The EU question (Response to Louis - II)

Julio Huato juliohuato at SPAMhotmail.com
Fri May 4 04:49:03 MDT 2001

Louis Proyect wrote:

>If Julio can put up with the heat, I think it is good for his ideas to get
>a hearing on the Marxism list. As we know, there was a reaction against
>"dependency theory" in the 1970s and 80s. Robert Brenner, Ernesto Laclau
>and Eugene Genovese advanced similar arguments to those we are hearing from
>Julio. Generally, these sorts of arguments are not heard outside of the
>academy, so it is useful for our subscribers, most of whom are ordinary
>working people, to hear them defended.

I'm not sure my arguments are heard in academia either. I guess I should
check those references.  I really want to share them with whomever may be
interested, mainly direct producers.

>Although I find them appalling
>myself,

How do you think I find some of the arguments thrown at me here?

>I am going to bend over backwards not to personalize my arguments.
>I must applaud Julio for having the temerity to defend these ideas before
>an audience that I suspect he feels will be hostile.

Ditto.