Response to Louis' posting

Xxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Sat May 5 16:59:22 MDT 2001

yeah John. you are right. I should save my time... and finish the final
section of grad proposal instead..

cheers, Xxxx

btw, just to save time, and assuming some comrades may know about this
(especially Henry, others are welcome too): what did  Nixon's monetary
policies offer to US international bankers in the 70s? were they favorable?
or unfavorable?  did Nixon (or Fed) increase or decrease the interest rates
after the crisis (1971 dollar crunch)? how did this affect the bankers?
Pijl is suggesting that, New York banking community who were representing
the liberal section of the bourgeoisie, was pissed at Nixon's realpolitik/
unilaterialism/selective industrial polices, but he does not talk about
"monetary policies" specifically. what was unileteral about Nixon's
monetary policies (besides the fact that he abondoned the Bretton Woods/
fixed exchange rate regime, and let the dollar float)?

What did the bankers propose to Fed after the Asian crisis in order to
minimize the impacts of the crisis on the _US economy_? (I know that they
ofered to Asia tight monetary policies-- high interest rates, low govern
expends, economic downsiziing--which made the situation worse. I am more
interested in the US side of the equation).. IMF/Fed/US tells Asia to
increase the interest rates, while Greenspan is lowering the rates here.
Can somebody help me connect these two responses ?

I just can't find specific info about Nixon's monetary policies in my
books...(except .Moseley's article) . geez....

---
Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx
Ph.D Student
Department of Political Science
SUNY at Albany
Nelson A. Rockefeller College
135 Western Ave.; Milne 102
Albany, NY 12222

Jenyan1 dijo:

> From: jenyan1 <jenyan1 at uic.edu>
> To: marxism at lists.panix.com
> Subject: Re: Response to Louis' posting
> Date: Saturday, May 05, 2001 6:13 PM
>

> On Sat, 5 May 2001, Xxxx Xxxxxx wrote:
>

> > It  is,  I assume,  the oligarchic segments of the working classes
(coapted
> > by the bourgeoisie) who prefer not to oppose NAFTA . They have what
Marx