FW: Counter-revolution doesn't pay so well

Mon May 7 21:59:23 MDT 2001

[BOUNCE Non-member submission from
 [Downwithcapitalism <downwithcapitalism at utopia2000.org>]]

Associated Press. 7 May 2001. Sandinista guerrilla hero says he's
headed for the poor house. Comment at bottom.

MANAGUA, Nicaragua — A legendary ex-Sandinista hero who directed an
assault that led to the overthrow of the Somoza dictatorship says he's
so poor he can't even pay his water bill.

"Not even Somoza made me surrender and now the water company is doing
it," Eden Pastora was quoted Monday by the daily newspaper El Nuevo
Diario as saying.

The newspaper said several supporters of Pastora had sent e-mails
suggesting that a bank account be set up to help Pastora, who directed
the famous assault on the National Palace in 1977 that later led to
the Sandinistas' overthrow of dictator Anastasio Somoza in 1979.

During the assault, Pastora took hostage several congressmen whom he
exchanged for Sandinista prisoners.

But Pastora became disillusioned and resigned from the Sandinista
National Liberation Front in the mid-'80s and switched to the
counterrevolutionary movement.

He now says he is so destitute that he had his telephone service cut
off, has been threatened by the electric company, and owes the water
company about $400.

"I'm not even collecting from Social Security," he said.

Pastora has put classified ads in the newspaper selling some of his
famous possessions, including a Rolex watch that Sandinista rebels
stole from one of the hostages, a close relative of Somoza, and gave
him as a gift for his service on the first anniversary of the
revolution.

The ads have not gotten any response and Pastora suspects that people
think it is just a joke.

"They don't believe that I'm poor," Pastora told the newspaper. "They
don't believe that having had the chance to steal, I didn't steal."

Pastora said he has friends outside of the country who could help, but
that he hasn't been able to call them because he has no phone service.

Went over to the side of counter-revolution once capitalism was
restored---and now he can't pay for water? Sounds like poetic justice
to me. Wanted capitalism; now he's got it.

Barry Stoller