historical memory

Sat May 12 15:53:00 MDT 2001

> most of my students don't read the news papers. I'm not sure how they know
> anything. perhaps it's because they go to school full time and work 40 hour
> weeks that they don't read. they spend their free time pursuing the good
> life.

We do have to understand something- that people who have never been exposed to either
privation or radical ideas but instead simply live here have not only the right to
chase "the good life", that it is a positive thing in many ways. What is this
pursuit, if not a declaration that what we have now is nowhere near good enough?
People spend their entire lives looking for that ultimate rush, primarily because our
society, praised as the best one on the planet (speaking from North America here) is
so profoundly anti-human and non fulfilling? As much as I cannot spend my time doing
the same nonsensical things, those chasing "the good life" are, in the main, lost
souls as surely as many others are. Capitalism starves far more than the stomach
alone.

Macdonald