critical debate

Greg Schofield gschofield at SPAMone.net.au
Fri May 18 09:05:27 MDT 2001

George seems to be making a good point here and I would like to see some
clarity on these issues.

All I can say is that I have read Woods' article and find little to
disagree with, moreover I find it internally consistent, though obviously I
cannot vouch the accuracy of how she characterizes her adversaries.

I do not know Blaut's work and reading these posts I am no clearer as to
the substance of the debate or the particular contribution he made.

I do not intend to add fuel to the fire, but if there is an argument that
capitalism was somehow in-uterio elsewhere I would very much like to know
more about it than I presently do (reading between the lines does not
constitute an ideal way to asses debates).

Would it be at all possible to reduce such a thesis to some fundamentals,
otherwise I am forced to concur with Woods for want of any clearer explanation.

For a debate causing so much heat, a little light would not go astray, all
I can see at the moment is a lot of smoke but no actual fire.

Greg Schofield