The CPA and Aboriginal Activismwas RE: Scholarship and politics(was Re: Proyect v Woods)

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky gorojovsky at SPAMarnet.com.ar
Tue May 22 20:41:49 MDT 2001

[ quoted text at end deleted. Les ]

En relación a Re: The CPA and Aboriginal Activismwas RE: Schola, el 22
May 01, a las 21:56, Greg Schofield dijo:

[On my approaching Australia's Lang to Argentina's Yrigoyen as
"national revolutionary" leaders]

> Perhaps not all that revolutionary, but at least enough for him to
> be kicked out before a fascist plot ousted him in a more physical
> way.

In these cases, I use "national revolutionary" as a single
block. Contesting British rule in Australia was an obvious move
towards greater national freedom, and in a sense it seems to have also
been a step towards the construction of a new Australian
consciousness. All this, in turn, looks linked to the build up of a
self-centered economy. Yrigoyen, as Lang (if I caught your line
properly), was not a revolutionary, as opposed to reformist. But the
reform-revolution debate is not what we are broaching here.

If you want a more accurate definition, well they were "national
reformist" leaders. But it is the "national" what made people love
them. Yrigoyen was overthrown by a military coup in 1930, but when he
died, even under conditions of harsh repression, the mass that
attended his funerals was so immense that the coffin was carried,
along a good deal of the road towards the cemetery, by the
multitude. It is impressive to see the films depicting the coffin
literally _navigating_ on the shoulders of mourning people, as a ship
on the sea.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar