Australian coup in 1975?

Greg Schofield gschofield at SPAMone.net.au
Wed May 23 20:19:05 MDT 2001

Gary I liked all that you said but thought to add some more and speculate a
little.

First, a little observation. I was selling those CPA tribune dailies during
the period, which initially went like hot cakes (quite unbelievable).
However, after the first two issues I stopped reading them, which to a
smarter person might have been a good indication of problems. Likewise so
did the public gradually loose interest.

If I remember rightly while the verbiage level was sometimes high, there
was no real political content and just a smattering of news. It would have
been under perfect circumstances a time to win over vast hordes of people,
(I am afraid the possibility of doing anything substantial did not then and
does not know appear realistic - while the effects of mismanaged mobilising
would I think have turned very deadly very fast).

The CPA by that stage (though I was not clear about this at the time)
inherently abandoning the class. It was many years before it became clear
to me that this had far more class content than mistakes or errors attached
to it. Anti-workerism was actively promoted, would you believe, rank and
file organisation strangled whenever the opportunity arose, even union
leadership purposefully isolated and forced out. I did not know it at the
time (otherwise I would not have stayed so long) but in effect the party
was purging itself of proletarian elements (not just workers but any
intellectuals who maintained this connection, in fact anything that was
associated with the working class).

I will not bore you with the details of the various misdirected struggles
which took place internally, but I suspect basic disbelief at what was
actually happening played a major role.

In the move towards coalitionism (not that any of these were ever serious,
or seriously pursued - yet another illusion), social movements, anything
vaguely political but not directly stamped by the working class. The depths
this reach is hard to imagine, hard even to recall how we suffered it and
did not walk out (well in fact this is exactly what did happen).

Far from this stemming from some theoretical errors - the leaderships grasp
of theory was at best simplistic. They (I use the term loosely because it
was not confined to those in position) were also very duplicitous in what
they picked up and abandoned. We poor sods who believed what we were saying
deluded ourselves that they did believe some of the garbage they actually
said, but I  have plenty of reflected experience to know that they tailored
what they said to each particular audience though I am still not clear what
they were after. The whole thing seemed so predicatively suicidal that I am
now of opinion that this had somehow become their objective.

All of which leads me to this overall conclusion, I can only understand
this (the CPA experience), the position of the present remaining movement,
the situation of the ALP, the odd position the conservatives have got
themselves into, and despite all this a rather wonderful, quirky,
disposition of workers, indeed people at the bottom end altogether. The
march of Aboriginal reconciliation just one of many extraordinary
manifestations that people have not given up.

For those outside Australia - these marches were not big, they were huge as
sizable portions of the population of each capital city came out onto the
street in general support of aboriginal struggles - in many ways
unprecedented - just as the growing militancy of the
mayday/anti-globalisation actions shows. I know we have had similar things
in the past, but we also had much more extensive political organisation in
the past, moreover the so-called violence of the latest mayday actually had
(and this is my first experience of this given the tendency for people to
wag their fingers at anything "violent") a lot of public support.

The coming general election looks like wiping the old conservatives off the
map, yet this sweeping Labor victory (things may yet go awry) holds no
illusions for anyone - which having grown up with traditions of political
allegiance being part and parcel of Australia's culture is very strange as
well.

I suppose I am just getting back to an overall picture, that the ruling
class has transformed itself into something with very much less hegemony
than it had before, I simply cannot read things any other way, the fact
that in different ways the same things seems to be happening across the
world is new. For instance any actual social-democracy has simply vanished
- I agree with you below that this did not happen overnight, but the last
decade has just made it so obvious 1983-1996 ALP government defying and
denying any connection with social-democracy.

Its landslide defeat in 1996 I think was a by-product of the usual skillful
electoral boundary changes being exaggerated by an actual swing, by the
next election the swing had returned but the conservatives lost hardly any
seats, I don't put extreme changes beyond them, as I saw the electoral maps
for 1975, but the last swing seems to have doubled up and then some - of
little interest except what the hell is actually going on? I am not so much
perplexed as bemused, but we really have to get a theoretical handle on
what is going on, because this sure is not the same old story as it has
been puffing along since the 1890's.

Sorry Gary I suppose that is my point, there has been a historic shift, it
has been going on for some time and is now unavoidably present and
basically I have not seen anything that seems to have the slightest idea
what it is all about. Trotting out the old stuff and dressing it up to fit
the occasion looks ludicrous to me and before any one jumps on me with
accusations of revisionism, what we need is some good old fashioned (read
Marx) Historical Materialist analysis, and not regurgitation of past
battles which have limited, if any, applicability at the moment.

I remain optimistic, but I wish someone would lance the boil so that we can
move on.

Greg Schofield
Perth Australia