McDonalds ideology machine on overdrive

Barry Stoller bstoller at utopia2000.org
Sun Sep 2 18:31:46 MDT 2001

AP. Septmeber 2001. McDonald's Gives $1M to Laborer. [Editorial  note at
bottom.]

HOLLY HILL, Fla. -- McDonald's hand-picked a formerly homeless day
laborer and gave him $1 million as part of the restaurant chain's effort
to restore consumer confidence in its sweepstakes promotions.

Patrick Collier, 35, and his fiancee, 29-year-old Sandi Fabian, had been
frequenting the restaurant for about six weeks and lived across the
street in a hotel room they shared with Collier's mother.

Corporate managers, who said they picked Collier at random, approached
the two as they sat down just after 10 a.m. Saturday to have breakfast.

"I thought I had done something wrong, but I was confused when they
handed me this certificate telling me I had won a million dollars,"
Collier said.

Just months ago Callier and Fabian said they were homeless, sleeping on
cardboard boxes and earning $50 a day as laborers when they could find
work.

"I'm getting a Harley,'' Collier said, "and a couple of houses."

"And one for me. He always said he'd buy me a house," added his mother,
Judy LaBounty.

McDonald's announced the promotion in the wake of an FBI investigation
last month, which found that an employee of a marketing company
contracted to run McDonald's Monopoly game allegedly stole more than $13
million in winnings.

Nancy Izquierdo, a McDonald's spokeswoman, said team members choose
someone to receive the prize without any criteria.

"It's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time," she
said Sunday.

[NOTE. Here is American exceptionalism displayed in its rawest form. One
million dollars of surplus money expropriated under duress from 3rd
World resources and US McDonald employees  -- transferred with absolute
arbitrariness to a conspicuous 'charity case.' That this particular
poster child for random class ascension outside of the production
process is going to put that money into the most irrational consumption
only completes the symbolic cycle of this extraordinary act of
capitalist propaganda.]

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews