Chávez and O'Higgins

Gorojovsky Gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar
Mon Sep 3 06:03:48 MDT 2001

Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez has visited Santiago de Chile recently. He
paid a hommage to Bernardo O'Higgins, the "Libertador" of Chile. Professor
Pedro Godoy, one of the -alas- too few Chilean intelectuals who can boast of a
clear Latin Americanist vision, has drafted a comment on the reasons why the
hommage by Chávez is most adequate.

I have hastilly translated prof. Godoy's very short text, which is both a reply
to those who ignore the continental dimensions of the original struggles for
Latin American independence, and a good introduction to the "Mapuche
sovereignty" issue, which cannot be seriously stated without a broader
conception of Chilean sovereignty. But on this I will return later.

CHAVEZ  AND O'HIGGINS

President Chávez has visited Chile.  The reason: the Grupo Río Summit. He
generates popular sympathies. He is cheered by those who like us are in favor
of MERCOSUR, of the demolition of the structure of lack of confidence that
divorces us from Peru, of the end for the enclosure of Bolivia, and for a stop
in the purchase of weapons. His hommage to Bernardo O'Higgins on the birthday
of the Liberator is meaningful.

O'Higgins represents Bolivarianism. As a statesman, he considers Independence
as a continental process. As a military man, he has the highest ranks in the
Armies of Chile, Argentina and Perú.  He never forgets that it is the help of
troops from the River Plate that made the victories of Chacabuco and Maipú
possible. His comradeship with the gaucho San Martín is paradigmatic. On
governmental duty, he works for an alliance between the Southern Cone and the
Great Colombia. Ostracized by Chileans, he puts himself under the orders of
Bolívar. A refugee in Lima, he states that: "soy chileno por nacimiento y
peruano por gratitud" (I am Chilean by birth and Peruvian by gratitude). He
supports the Perú-Bolivia Confederation and he opposes the war of Chile against
the Bolivian Protector Andrés Santa Cruz...

This Venezuelan flowers offered on his grave have provided help to concord in
this subregion. We from Santiago thank you for this gesture, Comandante Chávez!

Prof. Pedro Godoy
Centro de Estudios Chilenos CEDECH
cedech at chilesat.net
I am adding Prof. Godoy's addresses, for whoever wants to get in touch with
him. He is a resident of Santiago de Chile.

cedech at chilesat.net
www.cedech.paisvirtual.com
of. san ignacio 1341
telfax (56-2) 464 0031