Libel/Slander vs Protected Opinion

Mark Lause lause at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 4 17:24:38 MDT 2001

Friends,

I must express my unqualified horror to find so much of what's exchanged here to
be lawyer-speak.

In the end, what is and isn't slander or libel is just what the courts say..the
essence of consistency being the money you're willing to spend on such a thing.
According to our college legal consultants, when this is done electronically,
the liability embraces not only the person making the charge but the enterprise
that manages the email.  (unless these lawyers are lying...which they might well
be...after all, that's there job). Who cares?

Please drop the legalisms.

Solidarity,
Mark L.