Fw: [IM_GREEN] Bukidnon farmers protest Bt-Corn

vgl vgl at rp1.net
Wed Sep 5 01:50:31 MDT 2001

Can you use this? v.g.lava,jr.

----- Original Message -----
From: BenCyrus Ellorin <bency at journalist.com>
To: <IM_GREEN at yahoogroups.com>
Cc: <pinoypress at yahoogroups.com>; <csccsd at codewan.com.ph>;
<mindanao1081 at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 10:09 AM
Subject: [IM_GREEN] Bukidnon farmers protest Bt-Corn

> A "corn" to kill and die for
security people to shoot protesters of its mutant corn field testing in
Bukidnon
organizations and the church staged a protest against the field testing of
the genetically modified corn by the multi-national Monsanto Corporation in
Kibawe, Bukidnon.
biotechnology. A gene of the soil toxin Bacillus thurengiensis (Bt) is
inserted in the corns chromosome to create this Bt-Corn. The objective is
to develop a corn variety that is said to be resistant to pests like the
Asian Corn borer. It is however unclear, even to scientists what effect
these mutant corn would have on our environment and other plants.
mixing animal genes to plants. In other parts of world, field testing of
this Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) has been banned. Its food
by-products are labeled in order to inform consumers that said food contains
GMO. Known seasonings, corn and potato chips containing Bt-Corn are said to
be in the local market.
Philippines (NCBP) had approved the field testing of Bt-Corn in Kibawe,
Bukidnon. 31 other field testing sites have been approved by the NCBP.
Monsantos field testing of Bt-Corn is facing stiff opposition from farmers
and environmental groups throughout the country.
field testing of these mutant organisms. Characteristic of our third world,
status, this mutant corn is now rammed down our throats.
field-tested by Monsanto last August 29, 2001. Farmers in General Santos did
the same to Monsantos field testing last year.
same. Their basis is that the field testing by Monsanto of the Bt-Corn is
illegal. According to Laureto Camilo, a church lay leader in Kibawe, the
field testing was done without transparency. Farmers in Kibawe were not
consulted by Monsanto before the Bt-Corn field testing was started in June.
Bt-Corn that is planted in an experimental farm in Kibawe is already in its
tillering (flowering) stage. Scientists and farmers alike are concerned of
the effects of cross pollination from this mutant corn to other plants in
the area. Their solution, that is uprooting the mutant corn is but valid.
officials of Kibawe would admit giving the go signal of the Monsanto Bt-Corn
field testing. Kibawe's former mayor Paz Batao would now say that she never
approved of the field testing. Incumbent mayor and former Municipal Council
member Luciano Ligan would also deny giving the green light to Monsanto's
field testing.
testing last year, both Batao and Lingan deny having something to do with
it. Former Mayor Batao said that the resolution never reached her and
incumbent Mayor Ligan would say that he was absent when the said resolution
was approved.
effect of Bt-Corn on the environment when asked by the media and the
protesting farmers. The only problem is that, they are unabashedly defending
Monsanto's presence in the area.
Pag-unlad ng Agrikultura) is right when he said that Monsanto does have an
iota of intention of making their field tests transparent. They are wary of
consulting the people because they cannot assure the people that Bt-Corn is
safe for the environment.
a laboratory without their consent.
groups nationwide decided last Friday to uproot the Bt-Corn illegally field
tested by Monsanto in a 2,000 sq. m lot owned by the Municipality of Kibawe
in West Poblacion only to be greeted by gunfire from the heavily-armed
guards of the company.
testing site is the Tagbagani Security Agency of cashiered Co. Alexander
Noble. This security group had earned notoriety for protecting agrarian
reform flashpoints like the Mapalad (Kisolon) and CARRUF (Valencia) agrarian
reform areas.