Social Structures of Accumulation

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Wed Sep 5 17:33:52 MDT 2001

I have a query for members of the list. Has anyone read anything linking the
work of David Gordon et al on social structures of accumulation with the
rash of new "reality" TV shows that openly utilize, celebrate and reward
narcissism, social darwinism, ultra-competition etc in ways that are found
on such shows as "Survivor, Lost, Lost Weekend, Fear Factor, Big Brother
etc. Specifically, although these shows are appearing more and more as they
are relatively cheap to produce and highly profitable,  I am curious if
anyone is looking at these shows as a manifestation of "necessary"
superstructural changes and other structural changes as part of the changing
"social structures of accumulation" related to neo-liberalism
and monopoly capitalist globalization.

Any references gratefully appreciated.

Jim Craven

James Craven
Professor and Consultant, Economics
Clark College, 1800 E. McLoughlin Blvd.
Vancouver, WA. 98663
(360) 992-2283; Fax: (360) 992-2863
blkfoot5 at earthlink.net
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~blkfoot5
Opinion*
"I am aware that many object to the severity of my language;
but is there not cause for severity? I will be as harsh as truth,
and as uncompromising as justice. On this subject, I do not
wish to think, or speak, or write with moderation. No! No!
Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm;
tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of the
ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from
the fire into which it has fallen; but urge me not to use
moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest--I
will not equivocate--I will not excuse. I will not retreat a single
inch--and I will be heard."
(William Lloyd Garrison, Abolitionist, on Slavery, 1831)