We will not serve

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Sep 6 12:09:34 MDT 2001

   i n f o p a l  --  The Independent Palestinian Information Network

Contents:

*** [1] Press release regarding a letter from soon-to-be-soldiers:
         "We will not serve!"

*** [2] Text of Letter [including list of (62) names]

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

[1] Press release regarding a letter from soon-to-be-soldiers:
     "We will not serve!"

4.9.01

We are a group of 62 Israeli youths, about to be called to up  to
service in the IDF.

In protest against the severe violations of human rights  carried
out by Israel in the occupied  territories  -  be  it  executions
without trials  or  brutal  sieges  imposed  on  the  Palestinian
population - we just sent a  letter  to  the  Israeli  PM,  Ariel
Sharon, in which we inform him that we intend to refuse  to  take
part in the oppressive actions against  the  Palestinian  people.
Each of us, in his/her own way, will  refuse  to  cooperate  with
this horrible occupation - some  of  us  will  refuse  to  enlist
altogether, others will not serve in ground units and/or  in  the
occupied territories, and some will prefer to leave the army on a
mental-health pretext, in order to avoid service.

We call upon people of our age to join  us.  During  this  coming
school-year we will put up stands at high-school gates  in  order
to persuade more youths to join us. In addition, we will  support
the ones who choose to join our cause.

For details and a for copy of the letter:

Haggai Matar - 053-881213

Yair Hilo - 09-7457951

Shani Werner - 055-865422

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

[2] Text of Letter (including list of names)

To: Prime Minister Ariel Sharon
CC: Minister of Security, Binyamin Ben-Eliezer
     IDF Chief of Staff, Shaul Mofaz

3.9.01

We the undersigned, youths who grew up and  were  brought  up  in
Israel, are about to be called to serve in the  IDF.  We  protest
before you against the aggressive and racist  policy  pursued  by
the Israeli government's and its army, and to inform you that  we
do not intend to take part in the execution of this policy.

We strongly  resist  Israel's  pounding  of  human  rights.  Land
expropriation,  arrests,  executions  without  a   trial,   house
demolition, closure, torture, and the prevention of  health  care
are only some of the crimes the state of Israel carries  out,  in
blunt violation of international conventions it has ratified.

These actions are not only illegitimate; they do not even achieve
their stated goal - increasing  the  citizens’  personal  safety.
Such safety will be achieved only through a just peace  agreement
between the Israeli government and the Palestinian people.

Therefore we will obey our conscience and REFUSE to take part  in
acts of oppression against  the  Palestinian  people,  acts  that
should properly be called terrorist actions. We call upon persons
our age, conscripts, soldiers in the standing army,  and  reserve
service soldiers to do the same.

Haggai Matar
Amir Melanki
Nave Avimor