FW: Anita Hill Writer Says Judge Leaked FBI Files (AB: News)

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Thu Sep 6 11:32:22 MDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: MelodyIG at aol.com [mailto:MelodyIG at aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 1:40 AM
To: MelodyIG at aol.com
Subject: Anita Hill Writer Says Judge Leaked FBI Files (AB: News)

 9/3/01 3:04:50 PM P, web at wa-now.org writes:

<< ----- forwarded message -----
 Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:49:48 -0700
 From: "Varda Ullman Novick" <vunovick at mediaone.net>
 To: "Abigail's Rebels" <abigails-l at undelete.org>

 Los Angeles Times
 August 25, 2001
 By DAVID G. SAVAGE, TIMES STAFF WRITER

 WASHINGTON -- David Brock, the formerly conservative writer turned
 scourge
 of the conservative movement, said Friday that a protege of Sen. Strom
 Thurmond (R-S.C.) who has been nominated as a U.S. district judge gave
 him
 confidential FBI files nearly 10 years ago for his book on the Clarence
 Thomas .versus Anita Faye Hill controversy.

 Brock filed a sworn statement with the Senate Judiciary Committee late
 Friday.

 On Monday, the panel is scheduled to hold a confirmation hearing for
 Judge Terry L. Wooten, now a federal magistrate in Florence, S.C. His
 nomination
 by President Bush was not controversial. But Brock's charge threatens to
 reopen a bruising episode for the committee. In 1991, Wooten was the
 committee's chief Republican counsel, and he helped coordinate the
 defense of Clarence Thomas' nomination to the Supreme Court.

 In September of that year, when Hill sent the committee a statement
 accusing her former boss of having harassed her with crude sexual
 comments, Wooten chose to withhold the information from the Republican
 senators. They were then surprised--and in some instances, furious--when
 the accusations were revealed on the eve of a Senate vote for Thomas.

 Wooten said in later published accounts that his withholding of Hill's
 statement was "an effort to control the damage."

 But, of course, the Thomas confirmation hearings played out as a
 national TV drama, and the hard feelings remained after Thomas won a
 narrow confirmation.

 In October 1991, Brock said he was commissioned to write a book to
 discredit Hill and Angela Wright, who also accused Thomas of making
 crude comments.

 Brock now has said that White House aides sent him to Wooten to obtain
 FBI files that contained derogatory comments about Wright.

 "Mr. Wooten handed me copies of several pages of Ms. Wright's raw FBI
 files," Brock said in his sworn statement. "This material included FBI
 interviews of Ms. Wright's former employers and former co-workers. With
 Mr. Wooten's agreement, I removed the FBI material from his office."

 The FBI material appeared in a March 1992 article in the American
 Spectator, a conservative magazine funded by reclusive billionaire Richard
 Mellon Scaife. Brock's book, "The Real Anita Hill," was published a year
 later.

 At several points in the book, Brock quotes from "an FBI file" that
 referred to Wright as "vengeful, angry and immature."

 "There's no way I could have gotten this if Wooten hadn't given me the
 files," Brock said Friday.

 Wooten did not return calls to his office Friday, but in conversations
 with two senior administration officials, he denied Brock's charge. The
 officials said Wooten conceded that he met with Brock to discuss his
 book but insisted he did not give him FBI files. Wooten said he had not
 even seen or known of an FBI file on Wright, according to the officials,
who
 spoke only on condition on anonymity.

 "Based on all of our information and investigation, there is absolutely no
 basis for any allegation that Judge Wooten provided Brock with FBI
 materials related to Ms. Wright," said Mindy Tucker, a Justice
 Department spokeswoman.

 "I think it would be unfortunate if the desire for book sales promulgated
 a charge involving a man's integrity, such as this might," she said of
 Brock's sworn statement.

 Brock had a falling out with conservatives in 1996 after his book on
 then-First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton turned out to be more laudatory
 than critical.

 More recently, Brock has disavowed most of his earlier work, including the
 book on Hill. "I was a witting cog in the Republican sleaze machine," he
 wrote in the August issue of Talk magazine.

 This fall, he is set to publish "Blinded by the Right," a book that he
 says will set the record straight by telling the truth about his past
 dealings.

 Some former friends say that since Brock has admitted publishing dubious
 stories in the past, he cannot be trusted now. But because of his earlier
 access to conservative inner circles, he could pose a danger for some
 nominees.

 In May, the Judiciary Committee postponed a vote on Theodore B. Olson,
 Bush's nominee to be U.S. solicitor general, because Brock alleged Olson
 was involved in the "Arkansas Project," a Scaife-funded effort to dig up
 dirt on former President Clinton.

 In the end, the committee could not resolve the issue, and Olson won a
 narrow Senate approval.