Regarding Annett and Craven

Adam Levenstein cleon42 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 11:30:09 MDT 2001

--- "Craven, Jim" <jcraven at clark.edu> wrote:

> Response: (Jim C) Bingo! and thanks Jose. For the
> record, we have many
> Blackfoot who have never read even one word of Marx
> or Lenin--or don't know
> who they were/are--who know and regard from concrete
> experience, that
> capitalism is an ugly, racist, predatory,
> atomizing-homogenizing, genocidal,
> commodifying, dehumanizing and brutal system, driven
> by internal
> contradicitons and grotesque inequalities in wealth,
> power and access to
> destroy far far more than it can possibly create.

There's something really, really interesting in this.

Sometimes being on the receiving end educates more
than reading a thousand books.

> But
> in any case, no one can call himself/herself a
> "Marxist" while
> equivocating/disputing even one bit vis-a-vis the
> fact and reality that
> nothing less than outright genocide is being
> conducted against Indigenous
> and other peoples in the U.S. and Canada;

I've always been puzzled by this.

To me, the definition of "genocide" is the physical,
economic, political, and cultural destruction of a
nation, tribe, ethnicity, etc. If that doesn't
describe EXACTLY what Natives have endured for the
past 500 years, what does?

Adam

=====
Adam Levenstein                          cleon42 at yahoo.com