If not "black bloc," then what?

Jay Moore research at www.neravt.com
Sun Sep 9 16:07:33 MDT 2001

Good question.  At last April's demonstration in D.C against the IMF/World
Bank which I attended, along with the Black Bloc actions there were affinity
groups who were sitting-in or milling-around to try to block the access of
the diplomats and officials to the meetings and to shut the mother fucker
down.  There was no "wall" like we've seen now in Quebec and in Genoa, but
they had erected something similar on a smaller scale using portable crowd
control fences and lines of uniformed police.  In any case, there need to be
some place or places for those attending the meetings to come through the
barriers.  These are the vulnerable points where actions can have an impact,
short of breaching the wall altogether.  People tried, but there weren't
enough people last time to plug all of these possible holes and they got in.
Maybe it can be done this time.  But there is a Metro (subway) station, I
think, located inside the perimeter.  So that would have to be dealt with,
too.

Of course, I didn't think the Black Bloc actions were so bad.  In D.C. they
constituted a sort of flying squadron (sort of a la the United Auto Workers
in the 1930s when they went around shutting down factories) going from point
to point on the perimeter providing reinforcements for the more peaceful
direct actionists, diverting cops, etc.  The "violence" was minimal, coming
mainly from the cops.  Same at Quebec, where I was also present.

best,
jay
www.neravt.com/left/