Highlights of racism conference's final declaration

Mon Sep 10 10:39:17 MDT 2001

Highlights of racism conference's final declaration

Agence France-Presse

DURBAN, South Africa (September 8, 2001 07:05 p.m. EDT) -
The final declaration of the U.N. World Conference Against
Racism, adopted Saturday in Durban, South Africa, which is
accompanied by a program of action, includes the following
points:

- The continued and violent occurrence of racism, racial
discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance and ...
theories of superiority of certain races and cultures over
others, promoted and practiced during the colonial era, continue
to be propounded in one form or another even today;

- We express our concern that, beyond the fact that racism
is gaining ground, contemporary forms and manifestations
of racism and xenophobia are striving to regain political,
moral and even legal recognition in many ways, including
through the platforms of some political parties and organizations
and the dissemination through modern communication technologies
of ideas based on the notion of racial superiority;

- (Combating xenophobia) requires urgent attention and prompt
action by states;

- We ... express our determination to prevent and mitigate
the negative effects of globalization;

- We fully recognize the rights of indigenous peoples consistent
with the principles of sovereignty and territorial integrity
of states ... ;

- We strongly condemn the fact that slavery and slavery-like
practices still exist ... ;

- We note with concern and strongly condemn the manifestations
and acts of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and
related intolerance against migrants ... ;

- We recognize with deep concern the ongoing manifestations
of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related
intolerance, including violence, against Roma/Gypsies/Sinto/Travellers
and recognize the need to develop effective policies and
implementation mechanisms for their full achievement of equality;

- We are convinced that racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia
and related intolerance reveal themselves in a differentiated
manner for women and girls ... ;

- States have the duty to protect and promote the human rights
and fundamental freedoms of all victims, and ... they should
apply a gender perspective, recognizing the multiple forms
of discrimination which women can face ... ;

- We ... recognize with deep concern the existence in various
parts of the world of religious intolerance ... ;

- We condemn the persistence and resurgence of neo-Nazism,
neo-fascism and violent nationalist ideologies based on racial
or national prejudice, and state that these phenomena can
never be justified in any instance or in any circumstances;

- We acknowledge that slavery and the slave trade, including
the trans-Atlantic slave trade, were appalling tragedies
in the history of humanity ... and further acknowledge that
slavery and the slave trade are a crime against humanity
and should always have been so ...

- The world conference recognizes that colonialism has led
to racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related
intolerance, and that Africans and people of African descent
and indigenous peoples were victims of colonialism and continue
to be victims of its consequences ... (the conference) recognizes
that apartheid and genocide in terms of international law
constitute crimes against humanity ...

- We are concerned about the plight of the Palestinian people
under foreign occupation. We recognize the inalienable right
of the Palestinian people to self-determination and to the
establishment of an independent state and we recognize the
right to security for all states in the region, including
Israel, and call upon all states to support the peace process
and bring it to an early conclusion;

- We recognize the right of refugees to return voluntarily
to their homes and properties in dignity and safety, and
urge all states to facilitate such return.

You can find this story on the web at:
http://www.nandotimes.com/world/story/75566p-1061613c.html

BRC-DETROIT: Black Radical Congress - Detroit, Michigan

Distributed By: THE PAN-AFRICAN RESEARCH AND DOCUMENTATION CENTER
                211 SCB BOX 47, WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY
                DETROIT, MI 48202-- E MAIL: ac6123 at wayne.edu
*********       Related Web Sites:                     **************
                http://www.cc.utah.edu/~pks1019/tips.html