Cuban statement on attacks

Lou Paulsen wwchi at enteract.com
Tue Sep 11 17:04:01 MDT 2001

This is Prensa Latina's coverage of the Cuban statement, from the Granma
website (http://www.granma.cu/ingles/septiem2/37terro-i.html )

Cuba rejects acts of terrorism in the
United States and offers condolences to
the victims

THE Cuban government has totally rejected the
acts of terrorism reported today, Tuesday, in the
United States and has offered its condolences to
the people and authorities of that country for loss
of life.

Foreign Minister Felipe Pérez Roque informed the
press that Cuba’s historical position is to "totally
condemn and reject terrorism wherever it comes
from and against whoever it is perpetrated."

The Cuban minister made his statement in
Havana’s José Martí International Airport a few
hours after the attacks on the World Trade Center
twin towers in New York, plus the Pentagon and
State Department in Washington, which all
occurred within minutes of one another.

"Our people have had to suffer 40 years of acts of
terrorism, so we know the consequences of this
type of action," emphasized Pérez Roque.

The Cuban minister of foreign affairs stated that
the island has notified regional air traffic control
authorities that the island is willing to offer
facilities in Cuban airports for aircraft in
mid-flight, due to the present situation in U.S.
airspace.

"Our reaction really is one of a feeling of total
rejection of this action," reiterated Pérez Roque.

Asked about those acts of terrorism being
attributed to Palestinian terrorists, the foreign
minister indicated that Yasser Arafat, president of
the Palestinian National Authority, was one of the
first to expressly condemn what occurred today.

Regarding a notion that Cuba was involved, he
confirmed: "I do not believe it is necessary to refer
to this, and I trust that such a barbaric idea would
not occur to anybody."

After the news became known on the island
normal television transmissions were interrupted
and full and detailed information was offered on
the incident, described here as "a national tragedy
for the United States." (PL)

=======