The Media go to War

Lou Paulsen wwchi at enteract.com
Tue Sep 11 18:42:00 MDT 2001

Just a few observations:

The ongoing special coverage on the CBS network is called "Attack on
America".  The ongoing special coverage on NBC is called "Attack on
America."  For a change of pace, the coverage on NBC is called "America
under Attack."

7pm EDT was apparently decreed to be "Osama bin Laden hour", as all the
networks simultaneously produced coverage of bin Laden, along the lines of
(I forget which network this was, but it obviously doesn't matter): "We
don't know who is responsible, and of course we have to be careful, but the
rage of many Americans is focused on this man, Osama bin Laden!"

One item that the media have really been pushing all day has been the
"Cheering Palestinians" angle.  It was reported by Ha'aretz and the BBC,
unbiased sources of course, that some Palestinians were happy that the US,
which has been directly involved in the murders, assassinations, air attacks
on buildings, assassinating the head of the PFLP by helicopter gunship,
etc., had been attacked.  Well, the media have made sure that everyone has
heard about that.  Even when they were not reporting any other international
reaction, they reported that.  For example, for several hours ABC was
putting little headlines on the screen underneath whoever was talking, one
at a time, and they went something like this:

WORLD TRADE CENTER TOWERS COLLAPSE
TWO HIJACKED PLANES STRUCK THE TOWERS
PENTAGON STRUCK BY ANOTHER HIJACKED PLANE
ARAFAT CONDEMNS ATTACK, BUT PALESTINIANS CHEER

The "cheering Palestinians" were given the same prominence as the attack
itself.  In the course of the day I heard at least three people say things
like, "how could they cheer about something like that?"  Then the ABC anchor
asked precisely the same question of the "Mideast expert" they were
interviewing: "How could anyone cheer about hundreds, maybe thousands, of
people being killed?"  The expert, who was a slight bit more 'objective'
than he was expected to be, actually pointed out that the Palestinians
probably weren't cheering the fact that people were killed, but "see the
U.S. as responsible for their oppression" - of course they see it that way
because it IS that way, but there are limits to the objectivity you will get
from any expert on the network.

I guess I'd better listen to Bush now....

Lou Paulsen

=======