Cuba's official statement; Granma's lead article

Jose G. Perez jgperez at netzero.net
Wed Sep 12 10:20:48 MDT 2001

Via NY Transfer News * All the News That Doesn't Fit

Official text:

Statement by the Government of the Republic of Cuba

The Government of the Republic of Cuba has received with grief and sadness
the news of violent surprise attacks which took place, this morning, at
civilian and official facilities in New York City and Washington DC, and
which have caused many casualties.The position of Cuba against all kind of
terrorist actions is well known.

We cannot forget that for over 40 years our people has been victim of such
actions, promoted from the territory of the United States itself.

Due to historical reasons, as well as ethical principles, the Government of
our country fully  rejects and condemns the attacks committed against the
above mentioned facilities, and expresses its sincerest condolences to the
American people for the distressing and unjustifiable loss of human lives
caused by such acts.In this bitter hour, our people is in solidarity with
the
American people, and expresses its absolute willingness to cooperate, to the
extent of its modest resources, with American health  and humanitarian
institutions in taking care of, and rehabilitate the victims of today's
events.

Havana, September 11th  2001

*  *  *

[Lead article at www.granma.cu, the Granma International site]

Cuba rejects acts of terrorism in the United States and offers condolences
to the victims

THE Cuban government has totally rejected the acts of terrorism reported
today, Tuesday, in the United States and has offered its condolences to the
people and authorities of that country for loss of life.

Foreign Minister Felipe Pérez Roque informed the press that Cuba's
historical position is to "totally condemn and reject terrorism wherever it
comes from and against whoever it is perpetrated."

The Cuban minister made his statement in Havana's José Martí International
Airport a few hours after the attacks on the World Trade Center twin towers
in New York, plus the Pentagon and State Department in Washington, which all
occurred within minutes of one another.

"Our people have had to suffer 40 years of acts of terrorism, so we know the
consequences of this type of action," emphasized Pérez Roque.

The Cuban minister of foreign affairs stated that the island has notified
regional air traffic control authorities that the island is willing to offer
facilities in Cuban airports for aircraft in mid-flight, due to the present
situation in U.S. airspace.

"Our reaction really is one of a feeling of total rejection of this action,"
reiterated Pérez Roque.

Asked about those acts of terrorism being attributed to Palestinian
terrorists, the foreign minister indicated that Yasser Arafat, president of
the Palestinian National Authority, was one of the first to expressly
condemn what occurred today.

Regarding a notion that Cuba was involved, he confirmed: "I do not believe
it is necessary to refer to this, and I trust that such a barbaric idea
would not occur to anybody."

After the news became known on the island normal television transmissions
were interrupted and full and detailed information was offered on the
incident, described here as "a national tragedy for the United States." (PL)

=======