"A TRAGEDY FOR ALL HUMANITY "

Kevin Lindemann and Cathy Campo kklcac at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 12 16:33:38 MDT 2001

A TRAGEDY FOR ALL HUMANITY
A Statement by the Communist Party USA

The terrorist attacks that killed and wounded thousands of innocent
people Sept. 11 are crimes that call for universal, worldwide
condemnation. At this writing the toll of dead and wounded is not known
but it is certain to number in the thousands, the deadliest terrorist
attack ever.

The Communist Party USA expresses outrage and profound sorrow at this
horrendous assault. We unequivocally condemn terrorism in all its forms.

We extend heartfelt sympathy to the families of the victims including
the thousands of office workers at both the World Trade Center and the
Pentagon and those who died in the crashes of the four planes. We mourn
the rescue workers, hundreds of whom died in the line of duty, in the
collapse of the World Trade Center buildings. Amid the carnage and the
horror, they displayed uncommon courage and self sacrifice as they
struggled to save the wounded and dying. The people have responded
generously, from ironworkers in their hardhats, who raced to the scene
to help search through the piles of rubble, to the doctors and other
medical workers who worked through the day and night, to the thousands
across the country who lined up to donate blood. We urge that everyone
who can participate in such efforts.

This tragedy has traumatized the nation. The people understandably are
in a state of shock and anger, and are coming together to mourn just as
we united in sorrow after the bombing of the Federal Building in
Oklahoma City.

We must guard against a rush for military reprisals even before the
perpetrators are known and apprehended. There are calls for more
military spending, more intrusive surveillance both at home and abroad
and curtailment of democratic rights. Innocent Arab people both at home
and abroad and immigrants across the U.S. face a danger of racist and
xenophobic attacks. We call on the Bush Administration, and all state
and local authorities to take measures to guarantee everyone's safety.
The danger is that the cycle of violence will spiral out of control with
more death and destruction.

This moment calls for calm, not hysteria; initiatives for peace, not
war; democracy, not repression. This crisis must be answered by a united
world community of all nations and peoples. The goal must be
multilateral political solutions that eliminate the causes of violence
and promote a just and equitable world, the best and only true memorial
to those who have died.
=======