Chavez starts land redistribution

Eduardo Enriquez eldiablito666 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 00:04:11 MDT 2001

--- Charles Brown <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us>
wrote:

> --- Barry Stoller <bstoller at utopia2000.org> wrote:
> >

> like most latin american leftists i was also
> expectant
> to see what Chavez will do with so much power the
> people gave him. as the times advanced he really
> started to make me doubt whether he really was
> really
> going to push important reforms in venezuela or
> whether he already got drunk with power and vanity.
>

> ((((((((
>
> CB: This is a particularly inappropriate response to
> this specific news story. Handing deeds over to poor
> farmers is a sign of being drunk with power ? Sounds
> like you are for the rich landowners. Are you just
> plain drunk ?

I SAID THAT BECAUSE THE NEWS ABOUT THE START OF
AGRARIAN REFORM CAME IN AFTER ALMOST THREE YEARS SINCE
CHAVEZ HAS BEEN IN POWER AND WITHIN THAT TIME HE MADE
MANY ON THE LEFT, NOT JUST ME, DOUBT WHETHER HE HAD A
SERIOUS COMMITMENT TO PROGRES IN VENEZUELA. PERHAPS
YOU SHOULD REMEMBER THE ORDER I WROTE MY REACTION.

> As far as stirring up rightwingers, it is utterly
> impossible to carryout a genuine radical reform or
> revolution without riling up rightwingers. What are
> you thinking ?

I NEVER SAID IN MY POSTING THAT HE SHOULD PUSH
AGRARIAN REFORM WITHOUT ANGERING THE RIGHT WING. I
MEAN YOU SHOULD ANSWER POSTINGS WITH A LITTEL MORE OF
CLOSE ATTENTION.

> "Smells of inspiration from Cuba"  ? what are you
> thinking ?

NAMING HIS SCHOOLS "ESCUELAS BOLIVARIANAS" WILL TO
MANY PEOPLE REMIND OF THE KIND OF EDUCATIONAL
INSTITUTION THE LENINIST COUNTRIES PURSUED WITH
IDEOLOGICAL INDOCRINATION FROM AN EARLY AGE. EVEN
THOUGH THE SCHOOLS CHAVES CREATED ARENT REALLY PUSHING
ANY SPECIFIC IDEOLOGY I WONDER WHY THE NAME?

>  "...then there is no doubt
> that his movement is as much leftist as it is
> populist."     What are you thinking ?
>

> (((((((

HIS MOVEMEMNT UNLIKE SAY THE SOCIAL DEMOCRATIC GERMAN
MOVEMENT  IN THE LATE 19TH CENTURY AND THE EARLY 20TH
CENTURY HAS ITS APPEAL IN A BIG WAY BUILT AROUND WHAT
ONE SINGLE IMPOSING, CHARISMATIC PERSON CAN DO. IT WAS
THUS VERY TEMPTING TO THINK THAT HE MIGHT JUST TURN
OUT TO BE A "VENEZUELAN PERON".

> "it is definite that he could have followed a
> smarter
> course if he really was serious in his "revolucion
> bolivariana" so as to not let the right wing hurt
> his
> popularity. with his silly direct confrontation with
> the catholic church ...clip"

HIS FORM OF TALKING AND HIS CHOICE OF WORDS AND HIS
CLOSE FRIENDSHIPS CAN DEFINITELY MAKE ONE SEE
AUTHORITARIAN TENDENCIES IN HIM.

> ...his too close friendship with Fidel Castro also
> only
> serves the right wing to scare some people ...clip"

IT IS DEFINITE THAT VENEZUELANS DONT WANT THE
VIOLATIONS OF HUMAN RIGHTS AND OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH
THAT EXISTS IN CUBA.

=======