(fwd from Yoshie Furuhashi) Resist Calls for Collective Punishment

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Fri Sep 14 06:52:54 MDT 2001

BTW, now that I think about it, could you post the following to the
marxmail list?

----- Could you endorse the following joint statement?  If so, please
e-mail me at <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> ASAP, and I'll list you as a
co-sponsor.  Both individual and organizational endorsements are
welcome.  The statement will be used at teach-ins, etc.

*****   Build Peace and Justice:
Resist Calls for Collective Punishment

The Student International Forum, the Columbus Campaign for Arms
Control, and the OSU Committee for Justice in Palestine extend our
deepest sympathies and condolences to all those who lost loved ones
and suffered injuries in New York and Washington D.C. on September
11, 2001.  We are appalled by the enormity of casualties.

At the same time, we are disturbed by voices of ignorance and
prejudice -- heard in the mass media and the streets -- which incite
others to target Arab- and Muslim-Americans as objects of
scapegoating (the Council on American-Islamic Relations reports that
some have already been verbally or physically attacked because of
their religion or ethnicity).  We are distressed by calls for massive
military strikes against an as-yet-unidentified nation alleged to be
a "host of terrorists" -- the same logic of collective punishment as
employed by terrorists.

We join others to support all efforts to promote peace and justice,
condemning those that seek to foster racism, hate, and fear.

... We call on all people of conscience to speak out against the
scapegoating of Arab- and Muslim-Americans, as well as of Arabs and
Muslims abroad.
... We urge people to defend civil rights and liberties, the most
precious legacy of generations of struggle.
... We oppose any military strike by the U.S. government that might
result in civilian casualties here and abroad; we believe that
sacrificing more lives in blind retaliation is not only unjust but
also counterproductive.

For more information, contact Yoshie Furuhashi at furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
or 614-668-6554; Mark D. Stansbery at  walk at igc.org or 614-252-9255;
and Noor Alam at justice_in_palestine at hotmail.com or 614-291-8196.
For information on the OSU Committee for Justice in Palestine, visit
<http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>.   *****

Yoshie Furuhashi

P.S.  For what it's worth, Michael Parenti endorsed it.

=======