FW: About the Terrorism

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Fri Sep 14 14:23:28 MDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Craven, Jim
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 1:20 PM
To: Campus Master List
Subject: RE: About the Terrorism

Response to Timothy Moon and Watson:

Yes and are you going down to enlist in the military right away or does
someone else (perhaps poor and disenfranchised) get to do the dying for you?
How many of you teary-eyed, god-fearing, flag-waving, jingoistic,
apple-pie-eating, self/others-censoring, sunshine patriots served/will serve
in military service and personally participate in any revenge if eligible?

I remember vividly when little George (who got in through a bogus election
and a tiny vote margin as Mr. Moon got into ASCC) was active in a
pro-Vietnam War organization at Yale, yet when it came time to put his body
where his mouth was, "Daddy" Bush got him into the Texas Air Guard the same
day he applied (with a waiting list nationally of over 150,000) got him a
direct commission thus avoiding OCS which should have been mandatory with
only a BA and a 1.8 GPA from Yale, and then got him into flight school (only
two slots with over 150 applicants) after he got the lowest possible
"passing" score on the pilot aptitude tests. To top it off, little George
gets transferred to the Alabama National Guard with no aircraft so that he
could work on the Senate campaign of one of his Daddy's friends, little
George takes himself off flight status (after very expensive training) the
day before a medical exam that also tested for drugs (says only his own
physician could give him an exam or no exam) and then fails to show up for
Guard duty for a year-and-a-half before getting an early discharge. Yes,
little George, Cheney et al were real "heroes" and "patriots"--with other
people's blood.

How many who are so moved and emotional today protested the alliance between
the Taliband/bin Laden during the war against the Soviets in Afganistan when
the Taliband/bin Laden made it clear that their alliance for them--as for
us--was simply a matter of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" and that
they regarded the US as "the great satan" to be taken on later? How many of
you protested Madeleine Albright's statement that 500,000 Iraqi children
dead as a result of the embargo is an "acceptable cost"? Yes, emotionalism,
jingoism, cries for war and revenge are so easy when someone else will be
doing the dying--on both sides.

Jim Craven

Timothy Moon wrote:

Thank you for sending out this article. I was going to do so today if no one
else had.

Timothy Moon
ASCC President