Dumb gets dumber

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Sep 14 20:15:47 MDT 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 20:37:59 EDT, Borba100 at aol.com wrote:
> Nevertheless  the highest probability
>here lies with the "race" (I'm making a joke,
>Carrol)  of US covert agencies.  Why?  Because
>a) ONLY US establishment stands to  gain, e.g.,
>by consolidating its hold on and justifying
>further actions by  NATO and  b) certain of the
>events in question -

This is utterly implausible. Opposition to NATO in any real sense is
limited to Ramsey Clark and company, Jared Israel's website, Michel
Chussoduvsky's website, the Marxism list after John Lacny's
departure, exiles from WBAI and a few other recalcitrant souls that
could fit into the Village Vanguard with room to spare. This is not
like 1898 when there was a radical working class movement in the USA
that had broad support in the mines and textile mills. This is not
like 1964 when the American people had just voted for a peace
candidate by the largest percentage in history. The warmakers need no
Battleship Maine today. They need no Gulf of Tonkin. Except for Cuba,
there is no class-based opposition to US imperialism. Everybody,
including Putin, is looking to do business with Wall Street. Of
course, there is non-class-based opposition to US imperialism, but
the Quran is definitely no substitute for the Second Declaration of
Havana.

>those high levels. So the most reasonable
>explanation is involvement  by the most powerful
>forces in the US.  This by the way is being said
>more  and more openly outside the US.  E.g., I
>am told that CBC has been featuring  an airline
>security expert who flatly said this could not
>have been down  without official involvement.
>Period.

Our emphasis should not be on finding out whether the butler did it
or not. It should be on explaining to the American people why war is
not the answer to the Mideast crisis. Lenin didn't waste time on this
sort of business, but focused on explaining the role of finance
capital, diminishing markets, etc. in fomenting WWI. This is our
tradition, not Hercule Poirot.

--

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org

=======