A brief note on 'terrorism'

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Sep 15 09:03:52 MDT 2001

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 11:36:14 -0300, Gorojovsky wrote:
>It is not the same case, however, when a
>Palestinian commando attacks some  target in the
>United States. As everybody on this list knows,
>I find it  unlikely that it was such a commando
>who blasted the Twin Towers (though I also
>believe that, at least for my political
>necessities, this debate does not seem  to make
>much sense). But, just for the sake of the
>argument, allow me to  establish that, as a
>general rule, and from the point of view of the
>Palestinian downtrodden, IF such an action had
>been taken it would be received  (in silence, of
>course, not to be targeted by Count Dracula's
>backlash) with a  warm feeling of national
>reassertion.

Just as they would have a warm feeling of any blow against the
empire. But revolution is not a spectator sport.

>Let us think again of the French example with
>Algeria.

Any resemblance between the FLN and suicide bombers is purely
coincidental. The FLN was a national liberation movement that worked
with Marxists and which sought to modernize Algeria on the basis of
social justice. The suicide bombers of today seem to embrace the
vision of the Taliban and the Iranian clergy. I suppose if you want
to establish a theocratic state, it makes sense to keep the masses
out of your "revolution".

--

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org

=======