Call From The IAC re: Sept. 29 Mobilization vs. War & Racism

Gary Wilson gary at wwpublish.com
Sat Sep 15 20:16:08 MDT 2001

Let's really help the September 11 victims:
War & racism are not the answer

Dear Friends,

Our most heartfelt sympathies and condolences are with all
those whose loved ones were lost or injured on September 11,
2001. At this moment, we would all like to take time to
reflect, to grieve, to extend sympathy and condolences to
all. But we believe that we must do more. We must act.

Unless we stop President Bush from carrying out a new, wider
war in the Middle East and beyond, the number of innocent
victims will grow from the thousands to the tens of
thousands and possibly more. A new, wider U.S. war in the
Middle East can only lead to an escalating cycle of
violence. War is not the answer.

After the horrific killings of thousands of innocent
civilians on Sept. 11, the Bush administration is moving in
a very ominous direction. In a chilling statement, Bush
administration spokespersons have called for "ending
states," an unprecedented threat.

At the same time, Arab American and Muslim people in the
United States -- as well as other communities of color --
are facing racist attacks and harassment in their
communities, on their jobs and at mosques. Anti-Arab and
anti-Muslim racism is a poison that should be repudiated.

The government is attempting to curb civil liberties and to
create a climate in which it is impossible for progressive
people to speak their mind.  The Bush administration is
attempting to take advantage of this crisis to militarize
U.S. society with a vast expansion of police powers that is
intended to severely restrict basic democratic rights.

On September 29 we had planned to demonstrate against the
Bush administration's reactionary foreign and domestic
policy and the IMF and World Bank.  In light of the current
crisis, with its tragic consequences for so many thousands
of people, we have refocused the call for our demonstration
to address the immediate danger posed by increased racism
and the grave threat of a new war.

Now is the time for all people of conscience, all people who
oppose racism and war to come together.  If you believe in
civil liberties and oppose racism and war, join us on
September 29 in front of the White House.  We urge all
organizations to join together at this critical time.

National March in Washington DC
Saturday, September 29
Rally 11 am at the White House

SIGNERS:
Ramsey Clark, former U.S. Attorney General
Bishop Thomas Gumbleton, Auxiliary Bishop, Catholic
Archdiocese of Detroit
Samia Halaby, Al-Awda Palestine Right of Return Coalition
Barbara Lubin, Executive Director, Middle East Children's
Alliance
Nania Kaur Dhingra, Sikh Student Organization, George
Washington University
Chuck Kaufman, National Co-Coordinator, Nicaragua Network
Njeri Shakur, Texas Death Penalty Abolition Movement
National Lawyers Guild
(LIST IN FORMATION)

Tens of thousands will march on the White House on September
29. I want to add my name or organization to the list of
endorsing organizations and individuals for this protest, or
sign up to help mobilize in my area!

Name:
Email:
Street Address:
City:
State/Province:
Zip/Postal Code:
Country:
Home Telephone:
Work Telephone:
Fax:
Occupation:
Title/Position as it should appear:
Organization/Union:

[check all that apply]

[ ] List me as an endorser!

[ ] My organization/union has officially endorsed.

[ ] I can help with outreach (leafletting, posting,
call-ups, drop-offs, mailings).

[ ] I would like someone to speak to my group (explain in
comments).

[ ] I can help with fundraising.

[ ] I would like to hear about upcoming activities.

[ ] Other - let me know how I can help! (tell us how you can
help in comments below).

$ [  ] amount I can contribute (Send to "War & racism is not
the answer - Protest at the White House Sept. 29
Demonstration" c/o International Action Center at the
address below)

Message to September 29th Surround the White House
Mobilization:
(enter your comments here)

Send replies to iacenter at action-mail.org

=======