"freedom fighters"

Michael Keaney Michael.Keaney at mbs.fi
Tue Sep 18 02:42:12 MDT 2001

Marco Rodrigues queries:

reagan referred to UNITA as "freedom fighters?"  I think I'm gonna be
sick.

=====

During the mid-1980s BBC Scotland ran an innovative youth show called
"Open to Question" in which prominent political personalities and others
would be placed before an audience of teenagers and invited to answer
their questions. One lucky victim was Walter Mondale, fresh from losing
the 1984 presidential election. During his questioning, Mondale made it
absolutely clear that for the US it was imperative to support the UNITA
"freedom fighters" in Angola. And this, from the last champion of Hubert
Humphrey-style social democracy.

Michael Keaney

=======