Niggling doubts

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 19 09:20:26 MDT 2001

Carrol Cox:
>And of course the granddaddy of all conspiracies of this sort is the
>Kennedy assassination. And I think the basic impulse  behind that
>conspiracy theory was contempt for ordinary people. How would a punk
>like whats-his-name have the nerve and ability to kill a Kennedy. And if
>a conspiracy had been proven it would have been an absolute disaster for
>the left. All of our effort in the '60s to present the Vietnam War as a
>manifestation of imperialism would have been wasted, because the war was
>not the fault of imperialism but of a few scheming men in the CIA or
>wherever.

We ran into this nonsense in a more direct way in the Nicaragua solidarity
movement. An outfit called the Christic Institute, which started off doing
good investigative and lobbying work, latched on to the idea that the
contra network was the project of rogue CIA agents grouped around Richard
Secord that they called the "Secret Team". This cabal was not only
responsible for the contras, but the assassination of JFK as well. This led
them to forge all sorts of sleazy alliances, including one with Mark Lane
and a rightwing retired General who was a JFK conspiracy nut. This was a
major embarrassment to the left.

Louis Proyect

=======