Net site draws 'sick' messages

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 19 12:35:06 MDT 2001

Mark, you should back off on this. I usually agree with your posts, but
Marta's points are solid here. I have several friends with psychotic
symptoms, stemming from schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, schizoid
affective disorder, and even in one or two cases from 'simple' clinical
depression. Not one of them is in the least violent. (Even as a medical
term, "psychotic" as a description  of a _person_ as opposed to a
person' _symptoms_ is seriously misleading.) They talk quite rationally
of the voices they hear, and what the voices usually tell them is "you
are worthless," so while voices can trigger suicide they very rarely
trigger violence against others. Those who are actually sick (and not
"sick") are well aware of their illness, suffer from it, and strive to
control it.

Carrol