Hesitation in ruling class circles

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 19 19:10:42 MDT 2001

"Sixty Minutes" has been airing some exceptionally interesting
episodes on bin-Laden and the Taliban. Although CBS has been waving
the flag like the rest of the networks, any average American would
have second thoughts about the whole enterprise after tonight's show.

Basically, top officials under the Clinton administration admitted
that the attack on bin-Laden in 1998, which included 75 Cruise
missiles (!!!) not only did not come near to their target, but very
likely destroyed a mosque filled with children.

A close comrade to bin-Laden took CBS reporters on a tour of Pakistan
close to the Afghan border and you came away with the impression that
he is to the average Muslim what Che Guevara was to Latin American
peasants in 1965 or so. From powerful bureaucrats in Pakistan to
teenage boys in private schools, the support for bin-Laden was
unanimous as was hatred for the USA.

I am not sure what the calculations were of the CBS executives on the
brink of war, but I can assure you that nothing quite like this was
aired on the eve of other imperialist adventures, as far as I can
remember.

--

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org

=======