marxism-digest V1 #3993

Lou Paulsen wwchi at enteract.com
Tue Sep 25 07:45:35 MDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: ermadog at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca <ermadog at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>

>The Masters of the Universe who got toasted on Grim Tuesday, because of
>the social layer they occupied (defined in part by the income level and
>the company they kept, and in part by the kind of work they did), were not
>likely to have developed a working class consciousness. I repeat, however,
>that no one here has claimed these people deserved to die.
>
>Whether or not one has sympathy for them is a matter of personal
>conscience, and not a matter of Marxist analysis. Personally, I view their
>deaths with as much detachment as I view the entirely preventable deaths
>on the highways every year, or the equally preventable deaths from
>nicotine-induced cancer - I don't want to bomb the automotive or the
>tobacco industries.

"Unions compile grim toll of missing workers" -
http://www.workers.org/ww/2001/unions0927.php

Based on estimates provided by the AFL-CIO in the first week after the
catastrophe, it appears that about one-fifth of the dead were union members.

(A union rep writes)
"For the year I worked as the representative for the 300 people who cut
lettuce, baked tarts, broiled salmon, mixed drinks, washed dishes, waited
tables and set up banquets on the top two floors of the World Trade Center,
they were my comrades and friends in a struggle to make this a better world
for all.

"The workers at Windows on the World came from Bangladesh, Syria, Iran,
Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Mexico, Cuba, Algeria, Ivory Coast.
These are just a few of the countries that I can remember.

"I imagine that many of them were at work at 9 a.m. this morning. I used to
visit the night shift as they left and the day shift as they arrived between
7 and 8.

"This group of people taught me what it means to listen, to care and to
struggle. I will not forget the day a dishwasher named Robert Williams
hugged me with watery eyes and shouted, 'We did it' after 120 of his
co-workers defended his job and stopped the abuse of a mean-spirited
supervisor.   ... "

=======