Terrorism and Anger

Craven, Jim jcraven at clark.edu
Tue Sep 25 19:27:14 MDT 2001

There is a lot of coverage of the supposed finding of alleged terrorists
interested in crop duster aircraft for purposes of spraying anthrax and
other biological agents as well as possible use for spraying chemical
weapons. Of course not one mention of the fact that the U.S. was partially
built on biological warfare (smallpox-infected blankets) against Indigenous
Peoples with new and more sophisticated forms of "infected blankets"
emerging and being applied daily. Further, with reference to possible uses
of chemical weapons, no mention of the fact that the world's largest
depository of nerve gas and other chemical weapons is at Hermiston, Oregon
at the Umatilla Reservation (with daily siren warnings of leaks) and no
mention of the fact that of 73 proposed highly-toxic waste dump sites, 72
were Indian Reservations (instead of herding people into gas chambers, now
they propose to bring the gas chambers to those targeted for extermination).

Far more toxic than any terrorists could release is the rank hypocrisy and
racist jingoism pervading this country and indeed all over the world. We
should never forget and never let others forget that in addition to being
"Number One" (out of 22 so-called "developed" nations) in infant mortality
rate, infants born at low birth weight rate, percentage of population
incarcerated, executions, divorce rate, teenage pregnancy rate, teenage
abortion rate, per capita drug consumption, etc, the U.S. remains also
"Number One" in State-sponsored terrorism.

BTW, we had a radio show out here where people were asked to call-in and say
if they had personally suffered tragedy as a result of the recent terrorism.
One guy, named Bill, called in and said it was a tragedy for him
"personally" because "the fourth hijacked airliner didn't make it to the
White house."
Indeed there is a lot of anger, fear and just plain ugly emotions going on
from various sources and perspectives. But all we hear about is the
flag-waving jingoists.

Jim C.

James Craven
Professor and Consultant, Economics
Clark College, 1800 E. McLoughlin Blvd.
Vancouver, WA. 98663
(360) 992-2283; Fax: (360) 992-2863
blkfoot5 at earthlink.net
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~blkfoot5
Opinion*
"I am aware that many object to the severity of my language;
but is there not cause for severity? I will be as harsh as truth,
and as uncompromising as justice. On this subject, I do not
wish to think, or speak, or write with moderation. No! No!
Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm;
tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of the
ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from
the fire into which it has fallen; but urge me not to use
moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest--I
will not equivocate--I will not excuse. I will not retreat a single
inch--and I will be heard."
(William Lloyd Garrison, Abolitionist, on Slavery, 1831)

=======