Flag waving comedians

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 26 17:01:00 MDT 2001

Prompted by the apology of Bill Maher, the host of the popular TV
show "Politically Correct, for having described US high altitude
bombing as "cowardly", the NY Times had an article today on how
comedians are rallying around the flag:

>>Ms. Garofalo, who said she'd attended a prayer vigil and hung an
American flag out her window, also spoke to a common theme of many
routines: a sudden sense of self-examination.

"Who would have thought that I'd be angry on behalf of my country?"
Ms. Garofalo said. "I'm used to being angry AT my country."

Indeed, many comics say they find themselves having to strike a
delicate balance between sympathy and satire, unfamiliar territory
for both mainstream comics, who work such soft topics as
relationships, family strife and presidential faux pas, and for
alternative comedians whose material is often sharply political. Now,
in dealing with an event far darker than any comic can recall, both
camps are facing a whole new array of challenges, including many
audiences with little patience for anything anti-American.

"People are more sensitive to jokes about American society," said
Greg Giraldo, a New York comic. "Even benign jokes about our weight
problem or lousy schools, and people are like: 'U.S.A., love it or
leave it.' "<<

Full article:
www.nytimes.com/2001/09/26/college/studentreviews/coll26STAN.html

But his did not prevent the lads and lasses at www.theonion.com from
coming up with some cheeky satire on the state of the nation:

Arab-American Third-Grader Returns From Recess Crying, Saying He
Didn't Kill Anyone

ROYAL OAK, MI— Eddie Bahri, 8, a Lincoln Elementary School
third-grader of Iraqi descent, tearfully denied accusations during
morning recess Tuesday that he was a terrorist who killed a bunch of
people. "I did not kill anybody," Bahri told classmate Douglas
Allenby. "And my dad didn't, either, okay?" Also implicated in the
Sept. 11 attacks was 9-year-old Rajesh Soonachian, a Lincoln
Elementary fourth-grader of Indian descent.

President Urges Calm, Restraint Among Nation's Ballad Singers

WASHINGTON, DC— In the wake of the recent national tragedy, President
Bush is urging Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson, and other singers to
resist the urge to record mawkish, insipid all-star tribute ballads.
"To America's recording artists, I just want to say, please, there
has already been enough suffering," Bush said. "The last thing we
need right now is a soaring Barbra Streisand-Brian McKnight duet
titled 'One For All.'" Reports that the FBI had confiscated several
notebooks and audio tapes from Diane Warren's home could not be
confirmed as of press time.

Report: Gen X Irony, Cynicism May Be Permanently Obsolete

AUSTIN, TX— According to Generation X sources, the recent attack on
America may have rendered cynicism and irony permanently obsolete.
"Remember the day after the attack, when all the senators were
singing 'God Bless America,' arm-in-arm?" asked Dave Holt, 29.
"Normally, I'd make some sarcastic wisecrack about something like
that. But this time, I was deeply moved." Added Holt: "This
earnestness can't last forever. Can it?"

Dinty Moore Breaks Long Silence On Terrorism With Full-Page Ad

NEW YORK— Nearly two weeks after the attacks on the World Trade
Center and Pentagon, the makers of Dinty Moore beef stew finally
weighed in on the tragedy Monday with a full-page ad in USA Today.
"We at Dinty Moore extend our deepest sympathies to all who have been
affected by the terrible events of Sept. 11, 2001," read the ad,
which pictured a can of Dinty Moore beef stew at the bottom of the
page. "The entire Dinty Moore family is outraged by this heinous
crime and stands firmly behind our leaders." Dinty Moore joins Knoche
Heating & Cooling and Tri-State Jacuzzi in condemning terrorism.

Bush Sr. Apologizes To Son For Funding Bin Laden In '80s

MIDLAND, TX— Former president George Bush issued an apology to his
son Monday for advocating the CIA's mid-'80s funding of Osama bin
Laden, who at the time was resisting the Soviet invasion of
Afghanistan. "I'm sorry, son," Bush told President George W. Bush.
"We thought it was a good idea at the time because he was part of a
group fighting communism in Central Asia. We called them 'freedom
fighters' back then. I know it sounds weird. You sort of had to be
there." Bush is still deliberating over whether to tell his son about
the whole supporting-Saddam Hussein-against-Iran thing.

--

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org

=======