For some Marxists who have odd notions about what a worker is.

Tony Tracy tony at tao.ca
Thu Sep 27 13:17:39 MDT 2001

Joan:

Your argument is so bizarre it is hardly worth commenting on, but finding
myself with a few minutes of spare time, I will do so nonetheless:

It should be clear that *workers* were killed in the WTC on September
11th. Certainly, the mass organizations of workers (trade unions) have
lost members in the Sept. 11th events in New York. For example:

 1. Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees (HERE) lost 75 members of
Local 100 who died while working at the "Windows on the World" restaurant
at the top of Building 1 of the World Trade Center at the time of the
terrorist attacks. An additional 1,400 members of Local 6 of HERE lost
their jobs that day due to the destruction of three nearby hotels. (see
http://www.hereunion.org/newsinfo/).

 2. The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) lost several dozen
members in the attack on the WTC on Sept. 11th, including: at least 24
workers (including window washers, janitors, day porters and security
guards) from SEIU Local 32BJ, and SEIU Local 4053 PEF lost at least 36
workers who worked on the 82nd through 87th floors of the towers. SEIU
Local 1199NY reports two Emergency Medical Technicians unaccounted for
amongst their membership in addition to one that has been confirmed
missing. Additionally, in the aftermath of the attack, about 6,000
janitors and other workers who are organized by SEIU are expected to
permantly lose their jobs or be displaced for a long period of time. See
the SEIU's website at http://www.seiu.org/political_action/ for details.

These are only two of the many trade unions who lost members in the attack
on the WTC.

While we could argue that the US government bears a great deal of
responsibility for the attack on the WTC, given the many hundreds of
thousands of deaths that US foreign policy has brought about, both
directly (through "state-sponsored terrorism" such as the sanctions and
continued bombing of Iraq) and indirectly (through the funding and arming
of groups and governments who kill innocent people), it is bizarre and
wingnutty to argue that the folks in the WTC, or their families, deserve
what happened to them or that they were not innocent victims of a
terrorist attack.

I'm certain that if the University of Alberta in Edmonton were blown up,
and several people you knew were killed, you would not argue that they
were not innocent. Yet Canada's foreign policy (as an advanced imperialist
country) as well as domestic policy (in regards to treatment of Native
communities, for example) might very well lead a terrorist to do such a
thing. And Canada would be no less responsible in such a case than the US
is in the case of the WTC, given Canada's status as an advanced
imperialist country (whose armed forces have certainly killed innocent
civilians elsewhere: Rwanda comes to mind).

Whatever you want to believe in your fantasy world about the 7000-or-so
people who died, fine -- if you want to believe they were all CEO's of
major corporations, that is an issue for you to work out in your
fantasies. But if you intend to make a political argument out of your
bizarre fantasies, I would suggest that you do so elsewhere.

Tony Tracy
Vancouver, BC

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 ermadog at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:

> There may indeed have been a few janitors in the Centre on that day; but,
> it seems unlikely. Whenever I have cleaned office buildings, the work was
> done at night, not during the day. One newspaper report described the
> people fleeing the WTC as "the most expensively dressed refugees in the
> world". These aren't janitors; these are people who spend more on one
> natty suit than I spend on food in a year - the Masters of the Universe
> who were at work at their desks at 6:30 in the morning at the most
> prestigious address in the world, who raise the money for corporations,
> and who insure the most expensive property in the world, as Teresa
> Taduscco said in her interview with the CBC.

<clipped text>

=======