War economy and society

Michael Keaney Michael.Keaney at mbs.fi
Fri Sep 28 04:06:01 MDT 2001

An indication of how much certain interests are taking advantage of the
current "consensus":

Senator James Inhofe, a Republican from Oklahoma, has filed amendments
the Defense Authorization bill that would mandate drilling in the Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge and other sensitive areas. Both amendments
authorize new and harmful spending including at least $38 billion in
oil,
coal, nuclear and auto subsidies (the same that passed in the
controversial
House energy bill, H.R. 4, in early August). We must ensure that both
amendments do not become attached to important national defense
legislation!

GWICH'IN NATION CALLS ON ALL SUPPORTERS TO TAKE URGENT ACTION NOW TO
PROTECT
ARCTIC REFUGE

"The fate of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is the fate of the
Gwich'in
Nation. If the Arctic Refuge is sacrificed to meet the high energy
consumption needs of the US, the Gwich'in will not be able to continue
our
ancestral way of life and pass it on to our future generations as we
have
since time immemorial. We need the voice of all our supporters to defeat
this attack on the inherent fundamental human rights of the Gwich'in
Nation.
Our traditional culture and way of life which is interconnected with the
Porcupine Caribou Herd to meet all our essential needs such as food,
clothing, tools, spirituality and social structure is at stake. Speak
out
now!" Statement from Faith Gemmill, Gwich'in Steering Committee

The Gwich'in need your help now to defend this sacred place from the
desperate attempts of industry and the White house to violate the
birthplace
and nursery of the Porcupine Caribou Herd, the coastal plain of the
Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge. The Gwich'in people consider this area sacred,
in
their language they call it Vadzaih googii vi dehk'it gwanlii which
translates to "The Sacred Place Where Life Begins".

This is an alarming impediment for protecting the birthplace and nursery
of
the Porcupine Caribou Herd, one of the few remaining untouched
ecosystems in
North America. With Presidential approval a foregone conclusion, it is
absolutely necessary that the senate block this short sighted and
destructive bill.

The Arctic Refuge is facing its greatest threat ever, with many
opponents
stacked up against it: the White House, the oil industry, the Teamsters,
and
the Alaska delegation. Even our strongest allies in the Senate are under
enormous pressure to change their position.

PLEASE TAKE ACTION
The Defense Authorization bill appears to be scheduled for the Senate
floor
this THIS AFTERNOON (Tuesday 9/25), with votes on different amendments
continuing into the evening and possibly Wednesday morning . Our goal is
let our Senators' phones ring again - loud enough so that the Senate
will
take measures to prevent both Inhofe amendments from being offered.Our
message is:

1. The country and the Congress need to focus on the crisis at hand,
not on issues that divide us and are controversial.
2. There is plenty of time to debate energy policy in the Senate at a
later date.
3. The human rights of the Gwich'in Athabascan Nation must be protected
in any U.S. measures or policy's undertaken.

Please Call your Senators' offices immediately:

Ask them to oppose both Inhofe amendments to the Defense Authorization
Bill,
along with any other to mandate drilling in America's Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge. Please call ASAP.

You can obtain their Senator contact information online by going to
<http://www.senate.gov/senators/index.cfm>. Your local phone book will
have
contact information for their local offices. Or you can call the capitol
switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask for the local office number.

Wopida tanka! Thanks.

Indigenous Environmental Network
PO Box 485
Bemidji, MN 56619 USA